dimension

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

kripakrish
Premium Member
Premium Member

dimension

Post by kripakrish »

I was searching about SCD types and the forum has lots of dicsussion about scd's. I came across different dimension types like conformed, degenrative (to name a few) . Can some body please explain the various dimension types.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ken Bland has given some of more detailed answers on this. Do a search.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A "regular" dimension is one - it doesn't really have a name - that is a parent table to a fact table. That is, the fact table has a foreign key that is resolved in the dimension table.

Conformed dimensions are simply shared by more than one fact table. The time dimension is a typical case - every subject area in the data warehouse uses the same calendar.

Degenerate dimensions record the occurrence of an event, but no other information. These are typically represented by a combination of one or more non-fact columns in the fact table, but no corresponding dimension table. An example is a student attending a class. There is a student dimension, there is a class dimension, but there is another column that records the fact that the student attended the class. Degenerate dimensions usually occur with line item-oriented fact table designs.

A junk dimension is a convenient grouping of random flags and attributes to get them out of a fact table and into a useful dimensional framework.

An excellent book to read is The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit by Kimball, Reeves, Ross and Thornthwaite (Wiley, ISBN 0-471-25547-5) particularly the chapter "A First Course on Dimensional Modeling".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kripakrish
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kripakrish »

Thnks a lot.Appreciate your quick responses.