Future of Red Brick

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Future of Red Brick

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is the IBM message regarding Red Brick:

We plan to ACTIVELY sell and support Red Brick V6.3 into the foreseeable future. We have NO plans to EOL Red Brick. We are continuing to see strong demands for the Red Brick product, and we are committed to supporting our customers on Red Brick for as long as they want. Customers should feel comfortable remaining on Red Brick.

While we do not have plans for another release, we did provide a 64-bit ODBC port for Red Brick this year. We do plan on providing fix packs on an as needed basis into the foreseeable future. Customers who want additional functionality not available in Red Brick are recommended to consider DB2, DWE, or the Linux BCU (Balanced Configuration Unit). The Linux BCU was announced June 13, 2006:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2bi/tab_bcu.html

FYI, Red Brick V6.2 has been announced to EOM April 2006, EOS April 2007.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray are you sad?
Mamu Kim
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

When they say "ACTIVELY sell" RedBrick does this mean a work experience employee in the mail room has painted a "RedBrick for sale" and stapled it to a telephone poll in a remote part of the Urals or are the going to actively promote it?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I guess Ray should be more happy, as this is his favorite database, as I could recall from some of his previous post.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

kumar_s wrote:I guess Ray should be more happy, as this is his favorite database, as I could recall from some of his previous post.
Thats true. I read some of his very earlier posts and he just loves RedBrick.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

True. Red Brick is THE best database for star schema implementations. I won't bore you here with why, except to say that it's the only database specifically designed for star schemas.

I installed a new site late last year, and I think I may have initiated another sale today. Unfortunately they (IBM) don't pay finders' fees.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.