sequential file in 32 bit windows system larger than 2G byte

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

xinhuang66
Participant

sequential file in 32 bit windows system larger than 2G byte

Post by xinhuang66 »

I want to use sequential file to store temporary data during my Datastage ETL process.

I am not sure how datastage deal with the sequential file the the file's size will be larger than 2 G bytes..

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Datastage doesn't care. Your operating system on the other hand, may. NTFS has no file size limit, by the way.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
xinhuang66
Participant

Post by xinhuang66 »

So if file size exceed partition limitation, it will cause OS error, and also hang up Datastage job ?

For example in FAT32, if the file size will be larger than 4G bytes. what will happen ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage job will abort when it receives the signal from the operating system that the file size limit has been exceeded.

Your data will be truncated at 4GB and may not be recoverable, as no end-of-file mark will have been written.

That's one of the reasons DataStage can only be installed on NTFS partitions.

If you choose to use FAT32 partitions, aware of their limitations, then it's your responsibility to ensure that the restrictions are not violated.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.