Unable to initialize ORAOCI9 plug-in

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Unable to initialize ORAOCI9 plug-in

Post by just4geeks »

When I try to import Plug-In Meta Data Definitions and I choose ORAOCI9, I get a "Unable to initialize plug-in" error. I tried reinstalling the DS Client and in vain.

Please advise. Thanks...
Attitude is everything....
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to configure DataStage for Oracle. Did you follow the steps noted in the Plug-In Configuration pdf? Add the appropriate entries to your dsenv file and recycled DataStage? Have an Oracle client installed on the DataStage server?

All are needed before the stage can function.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Is this a new installation? Your PC has nothing to do with server side configurations. Possible causes are that the DS Oracle plugin was not installed on the server. A second is that the Oracle 32-bit 9i client has not been installed or configured. A third is that you don't have permissions to the Oracle client. A fourth is that everything has been installed and configured and the dsenv file updated but the DS engine has not be restarted.

I recommend you first verify the DS server has the Oracle 32 bit client installed on it. Then, verify the dsenv has an ORACLE_HOME entry that points to the 32 bit client as well as the SHLIB entries. Then, look at the last update timestamp on the dsenv and compare that against a "ps -ef|grep dsrpcd" looking at the start timestamp for that process. The engine should have been started sometime after the dsenv was changed. The true test is if you can run sqlplus from the DS server. You're 99% of the way to being operational.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

kcbland wrote:Is this a new installation? Your PC has nothing to do with server side configurations. Possible causes are that the DS Oracle plugin was not installed on the server. A second is that the Oracle 32-bit 9i client has not been installed or configured. A third is that you don't have permissions to the Oracle client. A fourth is that everything has been installed and configured and the dsenv file updated but the DS engine has not be restarted.

I recommend you first verify the DS server has the Oracle 32 bit client installed on it. Then, verify the dsenv has an ORACLE_HOME entry that points to the 32 bit client as well as the SHLIB entries. Then, look at the last update timestamp on the dsenv and compare that against a "ps -ef|grep dsrpcd" looking at the start timestamp for that process. The engine should have been started sometime after the dsenv was changed. The true test is if you can run sqlplus from the DS server. You're 99% of the way to being operational.
I am working on finding out if the Oracle client has been installed on the server. Meanwhile I found out the timestamps on dsenv and the start timestamp for dsrpcd. This is what I got.

Code: Select all

$ ls -l dsenv
-rwxr--r--    1 dsadm    dsadm        1836 Nov 17 16:57 dsenv

Code: Select all

$ ps -ef | grep dsrpcd
root      6393     1  0 Jan08 ?        00:00:00 /opt/datastage/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/dsrpcd
XXXXXX  32612 32551  0 08:37 pts/5    00:00:00 grep dsrpcd
Whats with the "?" after Jan 08. It looks like dsenv was updated on Nov 17 and dsrpcd was started on Jan 08. So, this is right. The dsrpcd need not be restarted. Am I right?

thanks for your time..
just4geeks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by just4geeks »

kcbland wrote:Is this a new installation?
Yes, this is a brand new installation.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

If the Oracle client is not installed or configured, then it follows that no one put entries into the dsenv file? So restartiing is pointless if you don't have the Oracle entries.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Check the contents of the dsenv file. Somewhere in it, the environment variable ORACLE_HOME must be set and match where your client is installed.

Also, your SHLIB or SHARED_LIB 'path' variable must have $ORACLE_HOME/lib or $ORACLE_HOME/lib32 added to it, depending on your platform and if your Oracle comes in 32bit and 64bit flavors. What Operating System by the way?

First thing is to verify installation of the Oracle client - not much can be done until that is complete. And, as previously noted, this is all in the documentation. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
fk4u
Participant

Post by fk4u »

Hello All

I m facing the same problem on Linux Server I have tried to configured the dsenv file but still getting the error. can any one help
This is the contents of dsenv file:
======================

ORACLE_HOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10gR2/db_1; export ORACLE_HOME
ORAHOME=/u01/app/oracle/product/10gR2/db_1; export ORAHOME

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib32:`dirname $DSHOME`/branded_odbc/lib:$DSHOME/lib:$DSHOME/uv
dlls:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/i386/client:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/i386:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
fi
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/lib32:`dirname $DSHOME`/branded_odbc/lib:$DSHOME/lib:$DSHOME/uvdlls:$DS
HOME/java/jre/lib/i386/client:$DSHOME/java/jre/lib/i386:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
SHLIB_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib32:$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$SHLIB_PATH
export SHLIB_PATH
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/10gR2/db_1
export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH:/usr/local/bin
export ORACLE_SID=pakedwp

====================================
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »