design vs execute of parallel jobs on Windows platforms

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jjrbikes
Premium Member
Premium Member

design vs execute of parallel jobs on Windows platforms

Post by jjrbikes »

While educating myself on dsxchange I came across a post discussing upgrading from Server Edition to Enterprise Edition (now DataStage 8.0 I would guess). In this post it was clearly stated,
"...at version 6 (indeed at any version other than 7.5x2 specificially)you can only design parallel jobs on Windows platforms - you will not be able to execute them..."
You can read the entire post Here

Is this really saying that if my current client wishes to upgrade to 8.0 they will also need to switch out their windows servers for unix? (they are currently running on SQL Server 2003 with an intent to upgrade to 2005 1st Q 2007).
Which, if I read Vincent's white paper correctly, could be disasterous if DataStage 8.0 is really NOT going to support SQL Server 2005.

If all this is true - my current client is definitely marching down the wrong path and needs to make some quick adjustments.

Thanks much! :roll:
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

7.5.2 runs on Windoze Server 2003 w/ MS VS.NET 2003 compiler just fine. 8.0 is just coming out for Windoze, with Unix support being added this year in a phased rollout.

You're mixing up OS with database release versions. DS 7.5.2 runs on Server 2003 (and XP Professional non-supported but it works) only.

As for SQL-Server 2005, you're fine because it uses ODBC. As long as you have ODBC drivers, you can use 7.5, 2000, 2003, or 2005.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
jjrbikes
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jjrbikes »

Thanks Ken.

so, in other words, my client can upgrade to 8.0 while running on a "Windoze" platform and will be able to execute parallel jobs in that environment as well as design them. And, likewise, they can also upgrade to SQL Server 2005 and still interface with 8.0 (using ODBC drivers).
Just want to make sure I'm not misleading them!!

Thanks Again!
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You need to check on the release date of 8.0 w/ IBM to make sure it's out and the functionality matrix with 8.0 matches your requirements, otherwise you may need to consider 7.5x2.
Last edited by kcbland on Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A small correction. It is version 7.5x2 that runs on Windows platforms. Version 7.5.2 is a UNIX version.

INB Information Server with DataStage version 8.0 for Windows has allegedly been released.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.