Testing of Datastage jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rafidwh
Participant

Testing of Datastage jobs

Post by rafidwh »

Hi All,

I want to recruit QA team for Datastage what are all the criteria the testers require.

How do we test an ETL Datastage job,what are all the areas a tester should concentrate to test a job.

What are all the test cases he need to concentrate.

pl do the needful

Regards,
Saik.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

QA testing is usually to analyze the data being processed. For jobs, usually the ETL lead or architect who has prior solid development experience can analyze the jobs.
When i check jobs i look for points like ease of maintenance, check to see if there is a performance bottleneck and prefer modularization. Make sure all the jobs are parametrized properly. If multi-instance jobs are used, make sure the output files, if flat, are distinct so that overlapping of data does not occur. Stuff like that.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Like any QA person, an advanced sense of cynicism is essential. Skill in constructing test cases (you may need to create test data according to specifications) is also vital. Ultimately, testing not only needs to ensure that jobs finish OK, it needs to test that they produce correct results; that all their derivation and constraint expressions work properly.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

As your DS is on unix box, tester should have a bit of knowledge or exp in Unix commands - file handling usually. Then other things related files like FTP and if he can use any editor in unix like VI, it will be added advantage.

If in your project you deal with database as in most cases, he/she should SQL knowledge.
Other general things like - test data preparation as per the diff conditions.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.