Sequence Job: Auto Matching of Parameter in the Job Activity

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Welcome Aboard ! :)

Would be interesting to see if DataStage 8.0 has that.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage 8.0 does not have that.

What is does have is a new object called a "parameter set" - literally a named collection of parameter definitions, so you can load that instead of the individual parameters. Makes life a lot easier! You can also select from the list of parameters in the set to effect a partial load, much as you can with column definitions when loading a table definition or jobs when importing DataStage components.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I wrote my own. When I wrote Parameter Navigator it became difficult to fix all the sequences. We had 500 jobs and over 100 sequences. Each job added at least 3 parameters for each database touched. I wrote one job to fix all ODBC jobs. So I fixed one job for each database touched. Next I copied all the parameters for that job plus I copied the one ODBC stage fields for DSN, User and password to the new stages. The job would search for that database name in all jobs and then fix them.

For example if "BEATLES" was your DSN name. I wanted jpSourceDsn, jpSourceUser and jpSourcePwd parameters to be used for this connection. You not only need these 3 parameters copied but you need #jpSourceDsn# in the ODBC stage. Once you got all of these fixed you need the sequence to have these 3 parameters and you need them automatched into the job activity.

If you add parameters to a job then the sequence automatically adds them to the job activity. Automatching 500 jobs in 100 sequences could take days or weeks. This automatch job by itself pays for Parameter Navigator. It took a while to figure out how they stored these values in a sequence job. You get all these jobs and a lot more with PNav but you can do it the hard way if you want. You get complete source on these jobs too.
Mamu Kim