NLS setting for Spanish and Mexican

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
You can go over the NLS manual and in the worst case that there is none existing you can simply build your own NLS character set.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try using NONE. That may work except for a few characters at the high end of the range (single byte values 248 through 255).

If that works, try some of the ISO 8859 variations - there are twelve subsets - but I don't have the documentation with me.

You may also need to set some database-specific environment variables, for example LANG_C or NLS_LANG, depending on the database.

:?: Curious: is Mexican much different from Spanish? (Ignoring the Aztecs', Mayans' and other indigenous languages, as we do.) NLS is mainly about character sets - I would be surprised to learn that Mexican and Spanish don't use the same set of characters.

:idea: Also go into your Administrator client and check that the maps you want to use are actually built and installed. Though I would expect a different error message if you attempted to use a non-installed character map.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.