Upgrade from Version 6

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Upgrade from Version 6

Post by ShaneMuir »

Hi All

The client I am currently on is contemplating an upgrade from version 6 but are thinking about upgrading to version 7.5 (Server Edition). Arising out of this is a couple of questions:
1. Should they even bother? I mean should they just go straight to 8? Will IBM still support an upgrade to 7.5? Will it even still be available as an upgrade option? I also remember reading on a post (I think from Ray) that an upgrade from a server only site to version 8 would be free? Surely I have interpreted that incorrectly?

2. The actual question they want answered: What are the minimum specifications required on a client machine to run version 7.5?

Any advice shared would be greatly appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's not much difference, client wise, in the 'requirements' of 6 versus 7. The only thing I recall is 6.x will function on Windows XP Home but that is no longer the case with 7.x - it requires XP Pro. Other than that, you should be fine.

In my opinion - upgrade to 7.5.x now. The upgrade should be pretty darn painless and there will be immediate benefits for doing so. Version 8 is still aways off in the future unless your client wants to jump right on that boat when it hits the dock.

Any upgrade to a new version of the same product is free - as long as you are under maintenance. So someone under maintenance with the 'Server only' product could upgrade to the 'Server only' version of 8.x for free. That's one of the reasons you pay for maintenance, after all. :wink:

Now, if you wanted to upgrade to the Enterprise Edition of 8.x - the one that includes Parallel jobs and you have a 'Server only' license - that would not be free. You would have to pay to bump your license up to an Enterprise license in the process to do so.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ShaneMuir
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ShaneMuir »

Excellent. Thanks for that information Craig. I knew about the XP Pro bit but I wasn't sure if there was anything else.

As for the upgrade itself - by the time my client gets around to actually deciding on an upgrade we could well be up to version 9 :lol: Damn beaurocracy.