Parallel job reports failure (code -2)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

reena123
Participant

Parallel job reports failure (code -2)

Post by reena123 »

Hi All,

I am running a parallel job "X" from a sequence "SEQ1". This sequence (SEQ1) is needed to run from another sequence (SEQ2). This SEQ1 is a common sequence need to run 11 times in SEQ2. I also enabled "allow multiple instances" check box in the job "X" as well.

When iam running job "X" indenpendently it is running fine. And also when i run SEQ1 indenpendently with the job "X" in it, it is running fine too..

But, When is run the SEQ1 in SEQ2, ----SEQ1 is getting aborted, this is getting aborted because of the job "X".

Below is the error message:

SEQ1.JobControl (@X): Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob(X), code=-2
[Job is not in the right state (compiled and not running)]

Any suggesstions??

Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Parallel job reports failure (code -2)

Post by chulett »

:!: Just noticed this is in the wrong forum - please post in the appropriate forum (General or PX) next time.
reena123 wrote:SEQ1.JobControl (@X): Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob(X), code=-2
Job X is not in the 'right state' because it is currently running. Simply marking a job as 'Multi Instance' isn't enough, if that's all you did - you must start any concurrent runs of that job using a unique Invocation ID. Dollars to Doughnuts, that's not happening here.

It's a field in the Job Activity stage that only shows up if the job it is running is 'Multi-Instance enabled'. Make sure each stage has a unique value there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
reena123
Participant

Post by reena123 »

Sure will take care of posting in the right forum in future. Thanks.

I checked in the job-activity stage. They already have unique invocation id's. But i would like to correct what i wrote in my earlier post. From the "SEQ1", am running a SERVER job "X" and not the paraller job "X"
ie; "X" is actually a sever job. Would that make a difference.

Please suggest as i have unique invocation id's, but still am facing this issue
SEQ1.JobControl (@X): Controller problem: Error calling DSRunJob(X), code=-2

Thanks and Regards,
Reena
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does SEQ1 have unique invocation IDs as well?

Read the error message carefully - WHAT job was not in a runnable state - the job or the job sequence?

It makes no difference to this logic whether the job is a server job, a parallel job or a job sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

reena123 wrote:"X" is actually a sever job. Would that make a difference.
Nope.
reena123 also wrote:Please suggest as i have unique invocation id's, but still am facing this issue
Seriously, you are facing the issue because you don't. Check the logged error messages more closely... make no assumptions of uniqueness.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
reena123
Participant

Post by reena123 »

Yes :) Thanks a lot for your help on this.

The invocation id's were not unique. The issue is resolved. Thanks again.
Regards,
Reena