Show the true value for environment variable

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

olgc
Participant

Show the true value for environment variable

Post by olgc »

When an environment variable with $PROJDEF as default value is used in a job as a job parameter, I hope the true value for the parameter is showed as the job is being launched, instead of $PROJDEF, like it is now.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The true value is, of course, reported in the job log. You can use the Help text to indicate what the default value is, perhaps even the parameter prompt.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Sucks for development! If the current environment setting is not to your liking, it's more difficult to change when working on a job. It kind of renders that View Data option a little frustrating, because you have to keep pasting in overiding values.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There you go! I don't use $PROJDEF or $ENV in development until the very very end. But I do switch it before testing, so there's one more thing with which to annoy the testers: "but that's how it will be in production!".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Sure, switch the job at the end. The next time the jobs come back into development for enhancement or modification, you'll switch them again, and then back again. Kind of tedious, and open for error.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
pneumalin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ask for patches

Post by pneumalin »

Hey Guys,
You might want to ask for patches from IBM to fix the View Data feature in designer when using $PROJDEF. I have been using the $PROJDEF and able to view data in 7.5.1.A. In Unix, tt used to be a problem in 7.5.0 and upgrade to 7.5.1.A actually fix the problem as I did it for OLGC last year. In Windows, there is a patch for it. But I don't know the patch number on top of head for now...