Data.30 - Size of File

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

brucee
Participant

Data.30 - Size of File

Post by brucee »

I have a couple of Data.30 files in various RT_LOGxxx folders that have become quite large. I need to try and reduce these files. I have gone into each job and used the clear LOG option but this has not reduced the file size. In addition I cannot see how to identify the specific job related to this specific log file. Can anyone help me with this please.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Go to the TCL prompt by logging on to the administrator and run

Code: Select all

CLEAR.FILE RT_LOGnnn
This might not be the best way as it will remove the default purge settings.
Once you are able to take care of all the huge files, you need to set the purge frequency. That is the best way to handle log files.
As per your second query, you can get the job name by running the following sql in TCL again in the administrator.

SELECT NAME FROM DS_JOBS WHERE JOBNO = 'nnn';
replace nnn with the job number you see suffixed in RT_LOG.
Last edited by DSguru2B on Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
brucee
Participant

Post by brucee »

when I run the statement to clear the file, I get the following error:-

Unable to clear file RT_LOG53
File Name =

When I try and run the statement to get the job name I get another error indicating a syntax problem - Unexpected Symbol - Token was "JOBNO"
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Ops :oops: Sorry, its DS_JOBS and not DS_JOBOBJECTS, i corrected the earlier post

SELECT NAME FROM DS_JOBS WHERE JOBNO = 'nnn' ;
Do you have that particular job log opened in the director, close all clients except the administrator client. and then try clearing it again.
Last edited by DSguru2B on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DS_JOBOBJECTS/DATA.30 is espected to be large, as it contains every object in every job and job sequence design in the project. If can grow towards 2GB before you should become alarmed.

As it approaches that size (say, if it exceeds 1.5GB) then you should schedule some down time for maintenance. You should begin by archiving and deleting any jobs that are no longer required. That may be enough.

If you have a really huge project containing hugely complex job designs, then you may need to RESIZE the DS_JOBOBJECTS hashed file so that it supports 64-bit addressing. Before you attempt this make sure you have at least two good backups of it; this is the second most crucial hashed file in the Respository. Maybe third most crucial.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.