Extending DS functionality with SDK

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thespongebob
Premium Member
Premium Member

Extending DS functionality with SDK

Post by thespongebob »

Hello

Is it possible to extend DS functionality with a SDK? I imagine it would be used to create new functions. Is there a thread on what is involved and what is required?

Randy
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Randy and welcome to DSXchange,

DataStage has, as part of the package, a full programming language called DataStage BASIC which is almost identical to the UV/BASIC language in UniVerse (mentioned because there are a lot programs and documentation available out there on the internet for this). Many large applications have been programmed in this language so it forms a very solid foundation for coding your own. In addition, there are ways to call external functions in languages such as c++.
Last edited by ArndW on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

What functionality are you talking about? If you mean new stages, sure, it's fully documented. There's even companies that have written plugins to give new functionality to the product. We just saw some of them at the IOD conference this week.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
thespongebob
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by thespongebob »

Thanx @kcbland. We don't really have the requirement yet. We just have a person with strong C skills and I am trying to get a feel for how useful this could be in the future.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

While it is true that there is a documented Plug-In Stage Writer's Guide it is also true that very few custom plug-in stages have been written in the ten years that DataStage server jobs have been out there. I attribute this to the rich set of functionality available out of the box and the ease with which DataStage BASIC routines can be written.

In the parallel job environment there seems to be greater willingness (need?) to customize. There is also greater opportunity; one can not only create parallel routines, but can also create custom stages right there in the Designer. Technically the language is C++ but anyone with strong C skills can master that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.