Timeout importing UV account table list?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Hegemon
Participant

Timeout importing UV account table list?

Post by Hegemon »

I believe we are getting a connection timeout error when trying to list tables from a UV account. We can pull up table lists from other smaller accounts, but this particular account is huge. It tries to load for 5 minutes or so then displays the message:

DSR.MetaGeta(GET.TABLES)(SQLFetch): BCI Error:
SQLSTATE=IM985,CODE=81001,[DataStage][SQL Client][RPC] error code = 81001

Our uvodbc.config file is configured as:

<Antares>
DBMSTYPE = UNIVERSE
network = TCP/IP
service = uvserver
host = 172.22.42.23:31438

<localuv>
DBMSTYPE = UNIVERSE
network = TCP/IP
service = uvserver
host = 127.0.0.1

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Daniel Richards
Senior Database Analyst, Petco Animal Supplies
danri@petco.com
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you tried limiting what is returned using the 'Name Contains' filter?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If you are trying form Adminstrator window, try to chagne the defalut Timeout settings available.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

See this post (your other post) where I addressed the possibilities.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Hegemon
Participant

Post by Hegemon »

chulett wrote:Have you tried limiting what is returned using the 'Name Contains' filter?
Hi Craig,

Yes, I did try limiting the results using the "Name Contains" filter. It still came back with the same message.

Thanks.
Daniel Richards
danri@petco.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Didn't you take my recommendation to setup a new account with custom dictionaries and F-pointers seriously? :cry:

The VOC is bloated probably due to years of accumulated junk, as well as dictionaries for each file is probably overloaded with unnecessary copies of dictionary items for formatting reasons, as well as I-descriptors and correlatives that are traversing multiple files. You want clean dictionaries that only reference the localized file and use I-descriptors only when you need to surgically extract data from a nasty multivalued attribute.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Hegemon
Participant

Post by Hegemon »

kcbland wrote:Didn't you take my recommendation to setup a new account with custom dictionaries and F-pointers seriously? :cry:

The VOC is bloated probably due to years of accumulated junk, as well as dictionaries for each file is probably overloaded with unnecessary copies of dictionary items for formatting reasons, as well as I-descriptors and correlatives that are traversing multiple files. You want clean dictionaries that only reference the localized file and use I-descriptors only when you need to surgically extract data from a nasty multivalued attribute.
Yes, I did take your advice and even more so now :) I just wanted to make sure I had researched all the options before moving forward with an implementation. Management is always looking for that silver bullet and didn't want to maintain a seperate set of DICTS. However, I should now have enough evidence to convince them otherwise.

Thanks again!
Daniel Richards
danri@petco.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea: In your new dictionaries prefer I-desciptors (compiled) to correlatives (interpreted), both for reliability and performance.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.