Can't login to Data Stage Server from DS client

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chakri.velvadapu
Participant

Can't login to Data Stage Server from DS client

Post by chakri.velvadapu »

I am new to Data Stage. I installed Data Stage server on UNIX and client on Windows. When I installed DS server, I added a project name called "sample".

After I installed DS client on Windows, I tried to login to the DS server from that client. I am getting "Failed to connect to host XXXX, project: UV User name and/or password incorrect (80011))" error message when I tried to login to the DS server. I tried both the host name and IP address for the host name field. I can ping the host from the client machine. I am using the same UNIX account that I used to install DS server in the login screen to login to the DS server using DS Administrator.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chakri
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard. :D

First things first. Can you connect using the Administrator client? (This uses a different mechanism, not initially attaching to a specific project.)

Can you establish a telnet session to the server, cd to the directory where you installed DataStage server, and execute the dsenv script followed by a bin/dssh command to get into DataStage that way? (If so, type QUIT to get out of the DataStage environment and exit to drop your telnet session.)

Are you totally certain that your user ID and password were correct, that you did not accidentally have Caps Lock on?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chakri.velvadapu
Participant

Thanks Ray.

I am using Data Stage Administrator client to connect to the Data Stage server. I can ping the DS server. I can telnet to DS server using the same account that I used to install DS server and that I am using to connect to DS server from DS administrator client.

Thanks,
Chakri
ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome aboard. :D

First things first. Can you connect using the Administrator client? (This uses a different mechanism, not initially attaching to a specific project.)

Can you establish a t ...
Chakri Velvadapu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does this problem occur from just one client machine, or from all?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chakri.velvadapu
Participant

It does happen from all clients

It does happen from all clients.

I would like to clarify one thing here: After I attempted to login to DS server from DS administrator client, the error message screen says "Failed to connect to host: xxxx, project: UV". Does UV project exist by default? When I installed DS server, I added only 1 project called "sample". Do I need to change it somewhere on the client side so that it looks for "sample" project? Or, am I completely wrong on the project UV concept?

Thanks,
Chakri
ray.wurlod wrote:Does this problem occur from just one client machine, or from all? ...
Chakri Velvadapu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"Project" UV is the DataStage installation directory. It's called that for historical reasons. It's the initial attach point for the Administrator client.

When you telnet, and get to the ">" prompt, you can execute the command

Code: Select all

LOGTO UV 
- having done that, can you then execute

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM UV.ACCOUNT;
so that we can see whether your sample project is accessible.

I have a feeling that sample is a reserved word (it's the name of a directory containing sample code, and has a VOC pointer), and that therefore your server installation may not have completed successfully.

If you can connect with the Administrator client it might be worthwhile trying to create another project (say, Project1).

Otherwise, I fear that you may need to re-install your DataStage server, this time avoiding the word "sample".
chakri.velvadapu
Participant

Telnet vs SSH

Thanks for the info on UV Ray.

I can use SSH (port 22) to connect to DS server from DS client machine. But when I use telnet (port 23) to connect to DS server, the connection is refused. Which port does DS Administrator client uses to connect to the DS server? If DS uses port 23 for that, then may be that's where my problem is. I am sorry, I could not read the whole content of your previous message, as I am not a premium member.

Thanks,
Chakri
ray.wurlod wrote:"Project" UV is the DataStage installation directory. It's called that for historical reasons. It's the initial attach point for the Administrator client.

When you telnet, and get to the ">" p ...
Chakri Velvadapu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage clients use port number 31538; if this were disabled you would have been getting "connection refused". Even so, it might be worth checking that this port is open through any firewall that you have, and that it is properly recorded in the /etc/services file.
chakri.velvadapu
Participant

Finally it worked

Finally it worked. The issue was that the Data Stage server was installed by non-root user and DSEenable_impersonation.sh script need to be run by root before anyone can connect using DS client.

Thank you very much Ray for your help. I have learned quite a bit from this.

Thanks,
Chakri
ray.wurlod wrote:DataStage clients use port number 31538; if this were disabled you would have been getting "connection refused". Even so, it might be worth checking that this port is open through any firewall that y ...
Chakri Velvadapu