Request to please use English and not SMS

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Request to please use English and not SMS

Post by ArndW »

<getting on my soapbox and ranting a bit>

Many, if not most, of the DSXchange forum users are not native English speakers (that includes myself). It is very disconcerting to see so many recent posts making use of SMS-type abbreviations or codes to such and extent that the question or answer only bears a slight resemblance to English and is for the most part almost indecipherable.
The technical DS subject matter is complicated enough and full of acronyms and further complicating things by adding in language problems it makes some messages .

Even more worrisome in my opinion is that many of the posters who post SMS and try to avoid using vowels are not native speakers. All of us make frequent typographical, grammatical and content errors and few people are bothered by missspellings [sic], but if I see a post with over 50% gobbledegook such as cn u plz c 2 line 50 & chg. 2 'test' thx. ttfn. I tend to ignore it completely.

Of course I'll make exceptions for those who actually use DSXchange from their mobiles.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Bonne chance!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.