Index Sequential File?

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chowmunyee
Participant

Index Sequential File?

Post by chowmunyee »

Hi,

Is there anyone heard index sequential file before? i searched on the net and manual but i couldnt found out for this....

This is the client told me that sequential file categorized into 2.
normal sequential file.
indexed sequential file.

Due to my data is more than 6 millions records....is it suitable to use sequential file?

Thank you
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

DataStage does not have anything like this, it doesn't read or write these. The Sequential stage is a traditional sequential textfile reader/writer.

A quick google found this for your reading pleasure:
http://www.theteacher99.btinternet.co.u ... p5_7_1.htm
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chowmunyee
Participant

Post by chowmunyee »

kcbland wrote:DataStage does not have anything like this, it doesn't read or write these. The Sequential stage is a traditional sequential textfile reader/writer.

A quick google found this for your reading pleasure:
http://www.theteacher99.btinternet.co.u ... p5_7_1.htm
Yeah i have search this web site also while im using the google....but when i typed " index sequential file datastage " in search engine....it doesnt display any result which im searching on....

Thank you kcbland...
loveojha2
Participant

Post by loveojha2 »

Due to my data is more than 6 millions records....is it suitable to use sequential file?
Sequential files are best suited if the processing requirement requires every record to be processed.

Whereas Index Files (including the Hashed indexed ones) are suitable where requirement is faster random processing.

So in all I don't think that there could be any problem with using the Sequential file.
Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try searching (both here and Google) for "indexed sequential" and "ISAM" (indexed sequential access method). It's more of a mainframe than a server technology.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Just got to know, propriety database of Hyperion Enterprise application use flat file to store its data. And its is possible to fetch the chunk of data, like for particular period, or for particular account.
Not sure, if it sorts data before it loads in.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't believe so. I've never been directly involved with mainframes but was exposed to Index Sequential files back in the 80's. Spend a goodly number of years working for a Texas Instruments VAR and their 990 'minis' (which interestingly enough ran an OS called 'DX10') supported these - aka ISAM files. I also recall working with 'Relative Record' files but don't recall the gory details of those.

I visited the TI plant in Austin in the summer (primary memory: HOT! AC 24x7) and picked up a TI calculator that I still have and use. I needed it because it supported Hex and Octal math, which was hard to find then. We were under the covers of the OS quite a lot, poking around with what was basically a hex editor, 'fixing' things... and none of it supported decimal. :lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Discussion on Hyperion flat file database can be found here.
http://businessintelligence.ittoolbox.c ... ice-487889
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ArndW
Participant

Re: Index Sequential File?

Post by ArndW »

chowmunyee wrote:...Is there anyone heard index sequential file before?...
This would be an ISAM file - take a google on that and you'll get lots of hits.