Video Tech Tip Series - FEEDBACK

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

whardeman

Post by whardeman »

Thanks for your patience, everyone! The Modify Stage video tech tip is now viewable at

vtt/ModifyStage.php

I'll take this opportunity to address a couple of things people have already mentioned:
  1. Andy does speak a little quickly, however, remember that we are trying to pack LOTS of information into just a few minutes. The longer the video, the larger the download size.
  2. Similar to the point above about download size, we also have to be mindful of the dimensions: Too small and screen text is illegible; too large and the download size is a deterrent for broadband users and prohibitive for dialup. We will keep trying to find the right balance.
  3. Subtitles (in English, at least) are a possibility, though it means a good deal more work to prepare videos for distribution. We'll keep this option open for now.
Please keep the feedback coming!
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Very nice. I think this well done. I like his Texan. Very easy to understand.
Mamu Kim
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Just Great.
Few suggestions (if it can be accommodated)-
1. Difficult to read the text in properties window. It would be nice if the camera focussed on the properties window such that it took up the whole screen. The Designer window in the background serves no purpose. Of course, it would mean extra effort on your part.
2. Some 'Fly from right' transitions leave you wondering if something went wrong.

Else, everything is just as I would want. Excellent demonstration of the solution on Modify stage.

Thanks.
gateleys
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:idea: I would like to have seen an up-front statement of objectives (headlines?) and a summary at the end of what had been covered.

:cry: Long pauses between parts - I thought a preview had ended and surfed away at the end of part #1. This may be because my speed is "only" ADSL - maybe I'll test on a dialup line and get really paused!

:oops: The KEEP and DROP statements refer to columns, not rows. (Minor but important error to be fixed when you shoot version 2.)

I think there are one or two other errors of fact or omissions in the presentation, which I'll be discussing off line with Andy. For example, would the design have worked without a KEEP specification? How does generating a sequence behave when processing on multiple nodes? It suggests that a peer review process may not be a bad thing.
Last edited by ray.wurlod on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Feedback on Feedback

Post by sud »

Really nice :!: :!:

By the way, it is smarter to just right click on the file stage and do a view data :wink:

:D
It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Pretty good video.

(+) Points
- Good topic to go on with :)
- Flash working fine again.
- Learnt a few things as well.

(-) Points
-Text was not as clear ie; more grains.
- Pace is a little too fast.

Imporvements:
- Subtitles are good to have
- Larger flash screen

I wonder what application you are using to capture the screenshots. Usually Snagit is the best one to go with.

I would rate it as 7/10.

Keep up the work guys.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

This is wonderful step taken to make use of updated technologies. Great work!! Keeping in mind the load to the pc, I could see clarity was compromised. As mentioned by all, due to the varied size of the video, the letters looks blured.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Excellent Work!!

--Rich
Bryceson
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Bryceson »

Pretty good video and sound, but Pace is a little too fast.

Bryceson
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I would not worry about the pace. They can always rewind it and play it again. It was hard to see the screen details.
Mamu Kim
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Finally found time to see it (and hear it)
I agree with Ray.
Beyond that, implicit conversions have the nasty habbit of apearing as warning messages, yet they can be avoided if you explicitly note in a modify stage the conversion you wish to perform.
otherwise you must use the meassage handler to reduce them to informational messages.

I also had to reload the page once or twice since it went black and seemed to have stopped.

As said before, I also found the viewable info hard to read and blured.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
jimgowtham
Participant

Re: Video Tech Tip Series - FEEDBACK

Post by jimgowtham »

Can we have more stages plzzzzz? :cry:

whardeman wrote:Hello all,

We hope you've had a chance to view the <b>Introduction to the New Video Tech Tip Series.</b> In a few days, we'll be releasing the first video on using the Modify Stage in DataStage Enterprise Edition. For a more detailed explanation of this new series and how we'd like to hear from you, please refer to the <b>article in the May issue of the DSXchange Newsletter.</b>

Please share constructive feedback and ideas for future topics in this thread. We will be producing new videos as often as we are able, so get your thoughts in now while we are selecting a subject for our next tip... :)

Thanks.
M.Gowthaman,
Accenture Service Pvt Ltd, M2A.
Mobile: +91 9819713784
Ext No: 4323
“Developing Software & Walking through water are easy, if it is frozen..."
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That's the whole point. Why not make suggestions as to what you'd like to see next rather than just crying in your beer? :wink:

Two points to keep in mind. One - They will take time to put together, so be patient. Secondly - from what I understand - the ultimate audience for these will be the Premium Members, this being a taste of one of the Premium Service perks in the pipeline. Sign up! As noted, it comes down to less than 14 cents a day. :D
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In case anyone's interested, each hour (or minute) of video requires about 100 hours (or minutes) of preparation and planning.

These presentations are thought out, scripted and planned. It takes time and, again, is mainly volunteered time. The premium membership helps to cover some of the actual costs, such as facilities, videotape, editing and the like.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jimgowtham
Participant

That was nice video....& how to become premium member...

Post by jimgowtham »

:?
That was a nice video....& how to become premium member...?
M.Gowthaman,
Accenture Service Pvt Ltd, M2A.
Mobile: +91 9819713784
Ext No: 4323
“Developing Software & Walking through water are easy, if it is frozen..."