Non Regression testing tools and scripts for Informix

This forum is in support of all issues about Data Quality regarding DataStage and other strategies.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Non Regression testing tools and scripts for Informix

Post by clarcombe »

I have to test DS 4 jobs against migrrated DS 7 jobs on Informix. Can anyone point me in the direction of some scripts or tools to help

Thanks
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is very much a do-it-yourself exercise. There's definitely nothing "out of the box". Because everyone's ETL is different (with the possible exception of PeopleSoft applications) there can never really be a generic solution. There are even differences in what different people want tested. I assume that, by "non regression" testing, you simply mean that the same job produces the same result and the execution times are comparable (or better in the newer release), all else being equal.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Two things to look at are row comparisons, where you compare the number of rows for each link of a DS4 job against the DS7.x jobs, this requires some extraction of the row counts. This can be done via dsjob reports or by ETLStats, though I don't know whether there is a version 4 compatible ETLStats.

The other comparison is the data content. This could be done through a data comparison tool such as DB Diff, or by dumping the table contents into text files and using a windows comparison tools such as exam diff.

This lets you know whether there are any differences in processing between the version 4 and version 7 jobs.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

EtlStats has several ways to get row counts which may work on version 4. All the jobs that refer to DS_JOBOBJECTS would not work. I think the job which gets row counts from the log file should work with some modification for DS_JOBOBJECTS.
Mamu Kim
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

To answer Ray's point, yes I need to ensure that the same number of rows are generated as well as each column is identical.

What worries me is that some of the developed routines will not work in the same way. Although I hope that this will be pretty obvious once run.

Oracle has some nice functionality to help regression testing and I wondered if Informix did to (I guessed wrong!)

I will do as Vince suggests and dump the files to text and then use Ultra Edit to compare them. The volumes are not huge so it shouldn't be too onerous

Thankyou for your assistance.
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer