Please post clear and descriptive topics

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roy
Participant

Please post clear and descriptive topics

Post by roy »

Hi All,
Time and again people here post topics with poor description in the topic/additional info.

"Wierd behaviour"
"Please Help"
and any variation or topics of similar nature are not an acceptable topic :!: :evil: :!:

Though I try fixing some of theese posts I can't keep up with the incoming trafic :(

The topic and additional info is what you see as a result of any search in this forum.
Please save all of us the time of clicking each result and dig in to see if it has what we need by givving a good description that will make us waste less time.

If you have an error give a selected part that might help others identify it if they come across it.

If your post is upgrade related note it in the mentioned topic or additional info.
And so on.

Let us leverage this forum to all it can be and not make it another dump of mixed info that will take forever to sort in order to get what you need from.

Regards,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hello Roy,

I'm writing this to you as you are the moderator. Many users are not searching before they submit their post. Probably, one of the reasons being that they forget that there is "search" facility or they are not aware of it.

Inorder to remind them about the "Search" before "Submit" ing a post.

The website can automatically raise a pop-up reminding folks whether they have used the "search" facility before submitting their post.

I mean, before one hits the "submit" or "preview" or "post new topic", a window should pop-up reminding them about the search facilty. If this could be arranged, then it will surely help in reducing the duplicate posts for the same kind of topics that were well covered earlier.

Please let me know your feedback.

Thanks,
Whale.
Last edited by I_Server_Whale on Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
rwierdsm
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rwierdsm »

On the other side of the issue of the 'Search' facility, I would suggest that there have been a number of times when posters feel compelled to chastise members for not using 'Search' when a brief look at their join date indicates that they have been members for quite some time.

Veteran members need not indulge in 'knee jerk' posts about using the search facility.

I would suggest that members who have been around for a year or more are well aware of the search facility, have found threads that relate to their problem and determined that they do not directly answer the question at hand.

We need to use a bit of thought before submitting 'corrective' posts. This will make DSXChange a more positive environment for everyone.

My 2 cents worth.

Rob W.
Rob Wierdsma
Toronto, Canada
bartonbishop.com
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rwierdsm wrote:We need to use a bit of thought before submitting 'corrective' posts. This will make DSXChange a more positive environment for everyone.
I concur. IMHO, people have gone a little overboard with feeling a need to correct others posts. People will 'inappropriately' quote entire messages for no reason, say 'hash' when we all know they mean 'hashed', confuse 'sequence' and 'sequencer', not search when you know the question has been asked a billion times before (yada yada yada) and I don't think it's all that constructive to drop the hammer on people for that over and over and over.

If it's really a concern, someone should post a FAQ and/or a sticky at the top of the forum where something like this can be discussed and explained in a... kinder, gentler format... for those who are new to the forums or DataStage.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers