Need for DS TX

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Ravindar
Participant

Need for DS TX

Post by Ravindar »

I had worked in DS server and parallel jobs.
I want to know what is the need for DS TX and how it is different from DS PX.
jsmoley
Participant

Post by jsmoley »

TX is an advanced transformation engine that can handle complex data types with ease. It can also connect to a variety of messaging programs, databases and other apllications. It can be used with Event Server, to be time and or event driven with coordination between time & event, or even multiple events.

It is also a very fast transformation engine.
sachinkc
Participant

Re: Need for DS TX

Post by sachinkc »

DataStage PX is designed more from ETL point of view, while TX is mainly for converting data. Although, TX has interfaces setup for various systems, it cannot take care of data partitioning as effeciently as in PX, and not sure if TX can take care of bulk loads into databases too. PX is designed to work around the more fashionable ways of working on Datawarehouses, while in TX you have to make it work that way explicitly through your maps and message flows.

Usually you might put TX in front of PX\Server jobs to translate very complex data into more simpler forms for DS (ETL) to take care of.

- Sachin
Ravindar wrote:I had worked in DS server and parallel jobs.
I want to know what is the need for DS TX and how it is different from DS PX.
Rgrds & Cheers!

Sachin
sachin@operamail.com
~Life always finds a way~
jsmoley
Participant

Post by jsmoley »

TX can handle bulk loads too. There is a "burst" mode that allows you to get a predefined number of rows, so you don't hit any environmental limits. MapStage under PX should be an interesting creature. Haven't tried to test this yet myself.
jvmerc
Participant

Post by jvmerc »

TX does indeed perform bulk loads. And, for modest data files it's an excellent option as commits do not occur until the entire load is complete.
jsmoley
Participant

Post by jsmoley »

Unless you use burst mode. Then you can commit by burst. You can also set up the map to send all good data to the DB and bad data to a file.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Hello Forum,

I have no experience with TX, but based on comparisons given here between PX and TX, it looks as though they are competing products with significant overlap.

Doesn't the RTI/Soa extension to PX offer similar messaging capabilities to TX? I hear that it can handle complicated datatypes. Exactly what type of data types or file structures can TX handle that PX cannot?

My client is getting a sales pitch to use TX. Is it a wise decision to start using this product in 2006? Do people see it's functionality eventually merged with Enterprise Edition?

Thanks,

Greg
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

DataStage EE and Server are mainly used to handle relational data. If they have a complex data source such as a complex flat file or XML they usually have to convert it to flat relational records in order to transform them. TX is better with complex data such as Electronic Data
Interchange (EDI), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA), Financial Services (SWIFT). It is better at handling complex data as sources and targets. It has better connectivity to EAI where these complex transactions often appear.
gsherry1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by gsherry1 »

Thanks for your response vmcburney.
vmcburney wrote:DataStage EE and Server are mainly used to handle relational data. If they have a complex data source such as a complex flat file or XML they usually have to convert it to flat relational records in order to transform them. TX is better with complex data such as Electronic Data
Interchange (EDI), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA), Financial Services (SWIFT). It is better at handling complex data as sources and targets. It has better connectivity to EAI where these complex transactions often appear.
My client is not interested in EDI, HIPAA, or SWIFT. They will be processing some XML.

1. Could you elaborate on what XML processing functionality (parsing/transformation) I would be able to achieve with TX that I would not be able to achieve with the XML Input, XML Ouput and XML Transformer Stages from the Soa Extension package for EE?

2. Could you elaborate on what EAI connectivity I can use in TX that cannot be achieved in Soa Extension package for EE?

Thanks in advance,

Greg
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

That's a good question, I'd like to hear the answer too.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

When Ascential bought Mercator and turned it into TX it came with a very large number of adaptors and connectors including some EAI queues that DataStage did not have. Couldn't tell you the exact list, it used to be listed on the Ascential web site but in recent times they have made this type of information very hard to find and most of the TX PDF library links are broken or contain very little useful information. You will have to contact Ascential directly.