Clearcase/Datastage

Formally known as "Mercator Inside Integrator 6.7", DataStage TX enables high-volume, complex transactions without the need for additional coding.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Clearcase/Datastage

Post by reddy »

Hi,
Good morning datastage gurus.

I have experience on Datastage Version control implementation but at my current project i have to implement clearcase as a version control tool.

Is there any differences while configuring and setting dev,test,prod environments and import/export ds components.

Please help me on how to implement clearcase with datastage.

Thanks in advance

Reddy
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Clearcase cannot do version control directly for DataStage objects directly, since they are stored in tables.

The only practicalbe method (and I use that term very loosely) is to use the Export and Import functionality to control versioning between projects and between your development/test/production platforms. It is a lot of work and somewhat unwieldy and if you can convince management to use a FREE tool included you will save a lot of effort. If you are a consultant paid by the hour and want to remain on the project for longer than you planned, then just ignore my previous comments.
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

I am not a Guru. But I can tell you what I know about DataStage and CleaCase as we are planning to implement it.

This is mainly depends on what kind of methodology you are going to choose in ClearCase. I am not sure if you are planning to adopt UCM(Unified Change Management) which is out of box product given by IBM. If you choose that then there are two things you need to choose from. They are single stream project or multi stream project.

If you are interested to know more about it let me know.

Regards
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Consider using ClearCase for production ready releases and not for the traffic between development and testing. It can be useful to get all parts of a release into ClearCase including the database changes, documentation and environment changes.

If you didn't mind burning up disk space you could also check in the bitmap and html job documentation with each export file so you can view the job from ClearCase.
reddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by reddy »

Thanks a lot sir.

Kaps, I need more information could you please help me.

Thanks
Reddy
kaps
Participant

Post by kaps »

Reddy

you did not provide more information about your environment like what technique you are decied to go with ClearCase(CC) as there are base ClearCase and UCM.

But Generally you have to have to export things out of DataStage(DS)
and Import into CC where different baselines will be made like DVL, TST and PRD in CC. Once it's in testing stage you need to export out of CC and import them back to DS Test environment. After testing it needs to go back to CC again as PRD version/baseline. when you want that in DS production then you again need to import back to ur DS Prd environment.

Disadvantage is the dicconnect between DS and CC.

Regards
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

This manual import/export check in/check out is why I recommend only using ClearCase for production ready components or UAT ready components and not the more frequent versions that get submitted to functional or regression testing projects.