Backup/Recover Version Control Project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Backup/Recover Version Control Project

Post by ecclesr »

Hi

I am preparing to move our team to using Version Control - starting with 7.5

I am currently looking at the processes I need to have in place to be able to recover/replace our VERSION project should it become "unusable"

I have searched the forum on this matter and the processes you see are what I believe are needed.

I would appreciated it if members can review my processes and correct my processes/understanding where necessary

1. Scheduled backup batch job running dscmdexport for the project VERSION

2. Scheduled backup batch job to copy APM.* folders and (CUST_*.* folders (Standard named Customer folders))

3. Via Admin drop VERSION project

4. Run batch job running dscmdimport for project VERSION to restore the project ("the import will also create empty versions of all of the hash files VC uses, along with all the VOC and Dictionaries")

5. Copy the contents of the backup APM.* folders to the VERSION project directory

6. Copy the backup CUST_*.* folders to the VERSION project ???

Thanking you all in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you use Administrator to delete the VERSION project, you must create its replacement with Administrator. The import process dscmdimport does not recreate VOC, VOCLIB, &SAVEDLISTS& or their dictionaries nor any of the DS_* hashed files that store design-time information.

If you have any versioned folders you will need to back these up and restore them also; they are not exported by dscmdexport.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ecclesr »

Ray thank you for your reply

I take it that corrections to my process are

2. Scheduled backup batch job to copy:
APM.* folders and (CUST_*.* folders (Standard named Customer folders))
DS_* folders
&SAVEDLISTS&
VOC
VOCLIB

3. Via Administrator drop VERSION project

4. Via Administrator create VERSION project

5. Run batch job running dscmdimport for project VERSION to restore the project ("the import will also create empty versions of all of the hash files VC uses, along with all the VOC and Dictionaries")

6. INSERT INTO VOC (F0,F1,F2,F3)
VALUES ('APM.VERSION', 'F', 'APM.VERSION', 'D_APM.VERSION');

7. Copy the contents of the following backups to the VERSION project directory
APM.*
(CUST_*.* folders (Standard named Customer folders))
DS_* folders
&SAVEDLISTS&
VOC
VOCLIB

Am I still missing anything in my process - If so what are the steps ie what additional folders should I backup and how and how are they restored into the new project

ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Complete set of steps to recreate a VERSION project?

Post by ecclesr »

Hi

From the feed back to date I am lead to believe that following steps are athe complete
set of steps to recreate a VERSION project from backups

If this list is incomplete I would appreciated if someone would list the correct steps to be taken

Steps to recreate a VERSION project from backups

1. Scheduled backup batch job running dscmdexport for the project VERSION

2. Scheduled backup batch job to copy:
APM.* folders and (CUST_*.* folders (Standard named Customer folders))
DS_* folders
&SAVEDLISTS&
VOC
VOCLIB

3. Via Administrator drop VERSION project

4. Via Administrator create VERSION project

5. Run batch job running dscmdimport for project VERSION to restore the project ("the import will also create empty versions of all of the hash files VC uses, along with all the VOC and Dictionaries")

6. INSERT INTO VOC (F0,F1,F2,F3)
VALUES ('APM.VERSION', 'F', 'APM.VERSION', 'D_APM.VERSION');

7. Copy the contents of the following backups to the VERSION project directory
APM.*
(CUST_*.* folders (Standard named Customer folders))
DS_* folders
&SAVEDLISTS&
VOC
VOCLIB

bjkilleen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bjkilleen »

What has been you success with the listed steps to recreate the VERSION projects?

I am in a similiar situation and am interested in finding out how things are proceeding.

Thanks!
Last edited by bjkilleen on Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjkilleen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bjkilleen »

I have worked with DataStage support on doing a recovery of my Version Control repository and followed the step described below:

1. Create a DS project (if it does not already exist) to be used for the VC (Version Control) repository.

2. Import the DSX from the original Version project.

3. Attach to the new VC project with the Version Control application. The reason we want to attach via VC at this point is that it will create all of the internal repository files. This will save us from having to do this step manually (or creating pointers, etc.). Disconnect from VC (exit application). Replace the VC repository tables with those from the old project. Since we attached via VC, these files should exist so you should be able to just copy them at the OS level. Repository files include APM.VERSION, APM.VERSION.XREF, and APM.BATCH and APM.BATCH.MEMBERS (at 7.x). In addition you will need to copy all the custom folders and dictionaries from the old to the New project. You also need to create pointers to the folders. Here is what I believe you will find:

If you have a custom folder called Test you will find a folder called Test in the old project. Copy that to the new project. You should also find a file called D_Test. Copy that as well. Then you need to create a pointer in the VOC in the new project to point to this custom folder. To do this login to DS Administrator and to the Command window for the VC project. Execute the following command sequence:

ED VOC Test
New record.
----: I
0001= F
0002= Test
0003= D_Test
0004=
Bottom at line 3.
----: FI
"Test" filed in file "VOC".

Copy the record (file) APM.CUSTOM in the folder APM_BP in the old machine to the APM_BP in the new machine.