Error in transformer - Input port 0 already connected

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

banactp
Participant

Error in transformer - Input port 0 already connected

Post by banactp »

Hello,

I'm getting this rather nondescriptive one-line fatal error message out of a transformer stage:

Operator initialization: Input port 0 already connected; text: 0< 'Restructure_to_V3_SLH:V3_SLH.v'

The transformer has an input (V3_SLH) from a copy stage (Restructure_to_V3_SLH.) The copy stage is used only to rename a couple of columns. (I've also tried using a modify stage - same result.)

Has anyone seen this error before? If so, what could be its cause and how did you overcome it?

TIA,

tpb
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

Have you tried a Force Compile?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Banactp,

my first thought is with the connector to the nodes - what would cause at attempt by another to connect to the same node? And my response is "you might have done something {non-kosher} with the partitioning in the stages leading up to the transformer". Did you?
banactp
Participant

Post by banactp »

The good news is that I restructured my job due to a requirements change and the error went away.

The bad news is that I don't know why - I made several changes and although the design is not that much different from the original, I could not deduce what would have caused or eliminated the error.

Oh well, I guess this one will remain a mystery for now...
banactp
Participant

Post by banactp »

ArndW,

Auto-partitioned all the way. Still scratching my head over this one, but not for too long...
Kartik Dharia
Participant

Mystery error in transformer stage

Post by Kartik Dharia »

The Error is basically due to the Environment Varible is not defined properly. for example you may be using parameter set in the job but would not defined the same.
Kartik Dharia
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: kartik.dharia@tcs.com
forest416
Participant

Re: Mystery error in transformer stage

Post by forest416 »

I have same error when the filter command line has multiple commands connected by pipeline '|'.

It can be re-produce by simplest case:

Code: Select all

head|head
I thought to have a work around by quoting the command by "()" to make it as sub-shell, no luck.

Looks that the filter command can only be ONE command, no pipeline is allowed.

An alternative way is
1. in Job property, before job shell command, create a temp file with commands with pipeline, and grant exec permission.

Here my example:

Code: Select all

echo " sort  | uniq -c|sed -e '/^      1/d;s/^      2 //' " > /tmp/exe.tmp; chmod +x /tmp/exe.tmp
2. in External filter stage, call the command created in step#1.

3. (Optional), in Job property, after job shell command, remove the file created in Step#1.

Now, I am facing complaints like "Field xxx is null but no null export handling is defined"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Mystery error in transformer stage

Post by ray.wurlod »

Kartik Dharia wrote:The Error is basically due to the Environment Varible is not defined properly. for example you may be using parameter set in the job but would not defined the same.
Your evidence for this assertion?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.