Connectivity Problem...

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Adam_Clone
Participant

Connectivity Problem...

Post by Adam_Clone »

Hi
I'm working with one of the top software companies in India. I'm new in Data Warehousing and am toddling my way around with tools like DataStage. I've had this connectivity problem with DSEE.
I created a Data Source of an Access database in the Administrative tools in XP using ODBC connectivity. Access database doesn't mandatorily need a password for the connection, thought the ODBC Enterprise object for the connection needs the username and password to be specified. So, I set the same in the Data Source and gave the same username and password in the ODBC component.
When I run the job, the connection fails. I discovered that when I'm entering the password in the box provided in the object properties of the ODBC object, it just changes to something else. That is,when I enter, say a 4 character long password and click some other option, the password changes to a 5 character one. Can somebody tell me why...
[size=9][/size][size=7][/size][size=9][/size][size=7][/size]
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello AdamClone & welcome to DSXChange.

First of all, are you running EE on a UNIX or a WINDOWS box? If you are connecting within a pure windows environment then things are a bit easier. First of all, from within the Manager try to import -> table definitions -> ODBC using your system DSN and userid/password. If you can view the tables in your database (be it access or excel or whatever) then the base connectivity is set up.

Similarly, in the designer stage enter the same information and when you click on "view data" you will get an error message - please tell us what it does say.

The password box display doesn't necessarily reflect the number of characters entered; and I wouldn't look for an error in this part of the connection unless the error message specifically tells you that you have an incorrect userid/password.
Adam_Clone
Participant

Solved !

Post by Adam_Clone »

hi Arndw
thnx 4 the help....earlier i'd imported the table definition without the username and password coz i hadn't set these. I'd done that only after I imported the table definitions and then tried to connect using the psw.
Now i tried importing the table definition after setting the login parameters and surprisingly it has worked ! Any idea why ? am using XP. The DS Server is on my machine itself.
k...thnx and regards.....
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sounds like you need to set a userid & password on this ODBC connection. What happens when you use MSQUERY? It's been a while since I used the windows ODBC but I thought it always needed both a user and password, or at least just a userid and no password.