Server/Parallel Designer - mark objects as 'Inactive'

Do you have features you'd like to see in future releases of DataStage, MetaStage, Parameter Manager, Version Control or one of the other tools represented on this forum? Post your ideas here!

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

ArndW
Participant

Server/Parallel Designer - mark objects as 'Inactive'

Post by ArndW »

Quite often when I design jobs I try out different stages and end up delinking them from the active job flow; but I know that sometime during the same development session I would like to use them. I would love to have an enhancement in the Designer that lets you mark a number of objects (just like it does now) but to allow a right-mouse-click drop down option to mark the selected area as inactive so that it remains in the design but is not compiled or marked as a compile-time error. Perhaps the designer canvas could mark this region or objects with a distinctive color to make sure the developer knows that a part of the code is effectively "commented out".

Anyone think that this might be a good idea?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In server jobs at least, a stage type with no links is already inactive. It does not prevent the job from compiling.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray,

but if it is a transform that contains errors, the compile won't go through, or if it has in & out links that don't go anywhere it still won't compile. Sometimes I have a chain (FileLookup -> Transform -> ) that I want to deactivate temporarily without losing the input that I've typed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Well, at least now you can create a new dummy job, cut-and-paste to there, and retrieve when needed.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray - the cut-and-paste across jobs (and projects) is quite impressive and saves quite a bit of development time; but you know how I am .... give me a small enhancement and I want a complete product revamp :)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I didn't tell you this, but a complete product revamp is coming sooner than you think.
I will take the Sergeant Schultz defence to any further questions on this.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray - that's my usual defence.... "Aye know Nothink" :roll: