Not able to read from Dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Chakradhar
Participant

Not able to read from Dataset

Post by Chakradhar »

We are writing to a Dataset from job1, but we are not able to read from it in job2. We get a message "Null value in <field> which is not null". When we make the nullability of the column to 'Yes', it fetches data, however there are no null values in this date field.

Another interesting thing is that job1 fetches data when we do 'View data' on an input link writing to Dataset, but gives an error when we change the link from input to output.

Different options that we have tried out unsuccessfully include
1.creating a new Dataset and using it in a different job.
2.copying the Stage, Dataset and pasting it in a different job and trying to read data from it.

This happens in only a few cases where we are writing and reading from datasets. And quite erraticaly as well. Any idea what the issue could be?
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

We had similar issues. The problem is in the first job. I hope you have a tranformer before writing to the dataset. Check the corresponding column which gives you the problem in the transformer. The nullablity is set to 'YES'. I hope somewhere in the first job the nullablity of the column is set to 'YES'. And secondly you would have saved the metadata of the dataset and using the same metadata for the second job. This is another source for your problem because the metadata would have the nullability of the column set to 'YES'.

So my advise is to check the first job for nullability of the column to 'NO' throughout your job. Run the job. Save the metadata of the dataset and use it for your second job.

You shouldn't have problems.

--Rich
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

I hope you are not handled "NULL". What the rich say is correct. Still u facing same problem use modify stage for Null handling...
Chakradhar
Participant

Post by Chakradhar »

Thanks for your response Rich. We checked the jobs again and but did not find the descrepencies you have mentioned

1. Nullablity of the column is set to 'NO' everywhere in the first job.
2. Metadata in both jobs is same with Nullablity of the column set to 'NO'.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

Pls look into ADN for solution regarding your problem.
As far as I know it is surely a metadata problem.
As adviced use the Dataset Management Tool in DS Manager to view the schema of the Dataset.

HTH
--Rich