Environment Variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Environment Variables

Post by richdhan »

Hi,

1. Where do I find information(documentation) on environmetal variables, their functionality and valid values that each environmental variable can accept.

2. Where do I find information(documentation) on $PROJDEF.

3. In Job Sequencer we can add only environmental variables under User Defined and General Category but cannot add environmental variables under parallel category(like $APT_CONFIG) Why? Is there anyway we can add them.

Thanks in advance
--Rich

You sow a thought You reap an action
You sow an action You reap a habit
You sow a habit You reap destiny
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try clicking on Help (or F1) when in the environment variables creation window. There's some useful information there.
You can also try searching for APT_CONFIG in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide, the DataStage Manager Guide, and the DataStage Administrator Guide.

However, the answer to your actual question is not directly answered. Do you have write permission to the $APT_CONFIG_FILE directory?

I believe that you can't add environment variables in the Parallel category because that would open the possibility that a less well-informed user might accidentally delete environment variables from this category. You should, however, be able to set other values for environment variables in this category.

After all, the Parallel category is like built-in routines - they're supplied with the product and expected to have a certain structure. If you want additional environment variables, even though they have APT_... names, surely they're "user defined"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response. I did find information on few environmental variables but is there a pdf or a document which gives the entire list of environment variables, their usage and valid values they can accept.

Secondly In one of my parallel job I have added an environment variable and in the value I was told to use $PROJDEF. When I actually run the job the default value for that environmental variable was used. So I searched for $PROJDEF in the pdfs from Ascential but could not find information on that.

If anyone has come across $PROJDEF in any documentation pls let me know.

Thirdly,
Ray wrote: I believe that you can't add environment variables in the Parallel category because that would open the possibility that a less well-informed user might accidentally delete environment variables from this category
This I totally disagree since the Parallel Category is available from Add Environment Variables section in a Parallel job but not available in the Add Environment Variable section in a Sequencer job.

So my third question in my previous post is still open. If anyone knows the reason pls let me know.

Thanks in advance.
--Rich