MS Access Source

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS4DRIVER
Premium Member
Premium Member

MS Access Source

Post by DS4DRIVER »

Hi,
I would like to know about, using MS Access as the Source/Target DB.
To get connectivity to MS Access Source/Target, i will be using ODBC Stage. But, i am not sure of ODBC Configuration requirements.
I need some information about ODBC Configuration for MS Access and the setup procedures.

Thanks.
rgattu
Participant

Post by rgattu »

To access MSACCESS files as sources and targets, you must create ODBC for MSACCESS giving DSN and FILENAME(.mdb).Then you can use it as usual.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The first thing you're going to need to find is a UNIX-based ODBC driver that can connect to MS Access. Do you have one of these? If so, the documentation that accompanies it will instruct you in the entries that are required in the odbc.ini file. You must also edit the uvodbc.config file in your project to reflect the fact that this data source is an ODBC (rather than UniVerse) data source, so that the driver will be loaded.
No ODBC driver for MS Access ships with DataStage. You'll have to source a third party driver.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Another option is to hook the MS-Access mdb file into a SQL-Server instance, then use the unix --> ODBC SQL-Server driver --> SQL-Server --> MS-Access route to get at the data.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
bjkilleen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bjkilleen »

Ken,

What are the gorey details of hooking a MS-Access mdb file to a SQLServer instance?

Thanks!
Brad
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Better yet move your Access data tables into SQL Server and don't use Access. If your Access database has some forms and reports you can link the SQL Server data tables back into Access and make Access the front end of a client server app.

The only problem I've had with this in the past is with identity or sequence number fields as SQL Server and Access create these numbers at different times. A small amount of code changes fixed this.