Accidentally deleted the jobs.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

acb
Participant

Post by acb »

Friends,

I have accidentally deleted some of the jobs, which are very much useful.
Please could anybody help me out in retrieving the the same. :(

Bhanu.
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

Depends... Do you back up your PX server? You could possibly restore the RT_BP* files for the jobs off a backup.

If you don't back up the PX server or if you don't use version control with the PX GUI, you're going to have a hard time recovering deleted jobs.

- BP
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In particular, you can not safely restore a DataStage project "over the top" of an existing one. However, if you have operating system backups, you can close down DataStage, rename the existing project, then restore the previous version. This is safe to do. If your deleted jobs were on the backup they will be in the restored project.
Changes more recent than the backup will be lost using this method.

If you had an export of your project with the deleted jobs in it, you could partially import the jobs from that, and not lose your changes. I assume from your post that you don't have such an export.

DataStage does have its own backup/restore utility but I doubt that very many folk use it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:DataStage does have its own backup/restore utility but I doubt that very many folk use it.
Or perhaps even know about it. :? I get the impression this is something different from the 'normal' import/export of projects so... what you talking about?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

uvbackup and uvrestore

They don't appear anywhere in the DataStage manuals. Next time you're at the "UniVerse" prompt (preferably in a telnet session) execute the following commands (case sensitive):
HELP uvbackup
HELP uvrestore

It's been there at every release since 1.0, and is still there at 7.0.1. I don't have 7.1 yet, but they've had no reason to remove it.

The main benefits are the ability to restore single records into hashed files (including those in the Repository) and to rename during restore.

Command line options are different on UNIX and Windows platforms, so you will find that there are separate help topics for the separate platforms.
In particular, UNIX has "natural" tree-walking, whereas Windows does not so, on Windows, you generate a recursive list of pathnames using uvwalk and use the output of that as input to uvbackup.

Well, you asked! :twisted:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes I did! And thank you very much, kind Sir. Have to check them out when I get a chance.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
acb
Participant

Thank You.

Post by acb »

Friends,

Thank you very much for your invaluable suggestions.

Bhanu.