DB2/UDB Enterprise Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not a very helpful error message, is it? :)
Just a thought, since you're on AIX, it might be worth trying to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so that it, too, includes $DB2_HOME/lib.
And to make sure that these environment variables are set in the dsenv file, so that every DataStage process sets them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Re: DB2/UDB Enterprise Stage

Post by Teej »

I also noticed something that was ignored by the people who installed DataStage on the server:
vasu wrote:##I TUTL 000031 19:37:37(001) <main_program> The open files limit is 2000; raising to 2147483647.
You should tell the UNIX Administrator (along with management so they can manage whether it's okay or not) to follow what is advised on the Install and Upgrade Guide concerning Kernel Environment settings. What is provided on those are the minimum that DataStage need to run without too much trouble.
DB2 Driver Embedded SQL: -1390;
Ray or anyone else -- Is there a DB2 equivalent to "oerr ora [Number]" entered on the command line to tell you what the error code corresponds to?

Is there also an equivalence to SQLPLUS that would allow you to open a connection to the database on the same server as where DataStage server is located on? This is the very first step I would do to verify that a connection is visible from that server using the same username/password@SID.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Pretty much every database has "client" software. For DB2 there's an interactive component of Client Access. There are probably others, too.
It's really only the name that changes.
Alternatively, every database also has an "error codes and messages" manual. This is what you resort to if you absolutely can't find any other way to decode an error code. RTFM, as they say! :)
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

SQL1390C The environment variable DB2INSTANCE is not defined or is invalid.

Explanation: The environment variable DB2INSTANCE is not defined or is not set to a valid instance owner.

User Response: Set the DB2INSTANCE environment variable to the name of the instance to use. If you do not know the name of the instance to use or how to set the DB2INSTANCE environment variable to the instance name, refer to the Administration Guide.

Federated system users: refer to the Installation and Configuration Supplement for DB2INSTANCE information.

Ensure your PATH environment variable contains the sqllib/adm path in the home directory of the instance you want to use (for example, /u/instance/sqllib/adm, where /u/instance is the home directory of the instance owner on a UNIX system).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thanks, Eric.

Can you share with us the name of the manual from which you obtained this, or the command that you executed?
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

I found the info from this web site IBM DB2 Technical Support

Hope this helps.
Jay
Participant

Post by Jay »

i got the exact same problem. it seems these problems are universal!!!

Check what Eric said. i did that too.

also check with ur DBA to see if ur group has the permission to create a file. in my case that was the problem. our group was granted only the select option.

good luck
jay
Jay
Participant

Post by Jay »

correction.do what Eric says. what i said was not related to ur question. i guess its time for a need shot !