Unable to start ORCHESTRATE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ujjwal
Participant

Unable to start ORCHESTRATE

Post by Ujjwal »

Hi all,

I have a querry as below

I have a job in PX where I have seven lookups. I tried to implement all these lookups in a single job and when I ran the job its gave me the following error message

node_node1: Fatal Error: Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process on node node1 (dasomg03): APT_PMPlayer::APT_PMPlayer: fork() failed, Not enough space.

When I implement the same logic in two different jobs by taking four lookups in one job n three lookups in another job its working fine.

Kindly suggest me how to achieve the same in a single job.

Regards,
Ujjwal
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

I would guess you are running out of memory. To achieve the same in a single job you would either have to reduce the number of nodes in your configuration.apt file or increase the amount of memory avaliable.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Hi Ujjwal,

As the number of operators increses per job, the amount of scratch memory/buffer required to allot for the job is also increased. Since each operator requires it own memory pool. Each operator shares its operation among nodes(Since partitoned)
Unable to start ORCHESTRATE process is an indication you are running out of some resource temporarily which is causing the fork of a required process to fail.
But iam sure this is not persistent. Try to free up your server and try the same job, it would pass through.

-kumar