Is this a CFF bug?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ashwin2912
Participant

Is this a CFF bug?

Post by ashwin2912 »

I am using CFF stage on Datastage 7.5

When I import a copy book with a PIC S9(n) field, it is imported as a "DISPLAY NUMERIC" => PIC S9(n) type field.

But when I press OK on this stage to save the changes and open the properties the next time, the same field shows as "DECIMAL" => PIC S9(n) COMP-3 type.

This seems to be a bug in CFF stage, as the file being written in such a way is of lesser size than that by a Sequential file stage (due to COMP-3 compression).

Has anyone come across this one? Or am I missing some option?
Ashwin
ashwin2912
Participant

Post by ashwin2912 »

Ashwin
Luciana
Participant

Post by Luciana »

I have the same problem with one job that use Complex Flat File Stage. I import the table definition and one column appear as DISPLAY NUMERIC, but when I press OK and after open the properties, this column appear as DECIMAL. The job execute with no warnings, but the size of row stay incorrect.

DataStage Server: Aix 5
DataStage Enterprise Edition 7.5.2

Att. This problem happened in AIX. I executed the same actions in DataStage Server Linux (version 7.5.2) and no problem.

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,
Luciana
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

After fussing with CFF stage a fair amount I have strong advice for people. Don't try to edit cff stage inside the CFF Stage GUI. If you want to change something, clear the CFF stage, edit the copybook with notepad, and re-import the copybook. Editing the fields in CFF stage just doesn't work even though it should. I don't know if I could get Ascential to admit this or not. But I saw some incredibly bizarre things happen once I tried to edit a copy book I had already imported. If you clear CFF stage and re-import, it has no choice but to do what you specified in the copybook.

... Tom
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

After fussing with CFF stage a fair amount I have strong advice for people. Don't try to edit cff stage inside the CFF Stage GUI. If you want to change something, clear the CFF stage, edit the copybook with notepad, and re-import the copybook. Editing the fields in CFF stage just doesn't work even though it should. I don't know if I could get Ascential to admit this or not. But I saw some incredibly bizarre things happen once I tried to edit a copy book I had already imported. If you clear CFF stage and re-import, it has no choice but to do what you specified in the copybook.

... Tom
Flash Gordon
landaghaar
Participant

Post by landaghaar »

I had this problem. But you just convert the PIC 9(9) to PIC X(9) in copy book and reimport or just change it in the CFF gui. but just make sure once you do it, go to ouput and on the mapping click on << and then on >> once, otherwise you will read as a char but will try to write it to output as COMP-3 which will screw up.
max.madsen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by max.madsen »

I think it is a client bug. Update DS Client to 7.5.2 version and try again.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Max,

Thanks. That's interesting. I thought we were pretty current and we're 7.5.1.something. How long has 7.5.2 been out?

... Tom
Flash Gordon
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Quite some time. Indeed there will be a 7.5.3 late this year or early next year, according to the roadmap presentation at IoD 2007.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.