is table definition shared?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

julia
Participant

is table definition shared?

Post by julia »

If there is a table definition that is used in several jobs, I would like to change table definition (for example, column name) in one place and have all
database stages that refers to it get default SQL changed. Also I would like to have name and password recorded in one place only so it a user id is changed - do not change in in 20 stages... What is the best way to do it?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Dynamic table definitions wired into jobs - this feature is not in DataStage.

Dynamic credentials - use a job parameter in your credential fields (userid, password, server, directory, etc) and supply the parameter value at runtime via job control.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

What you seek is not delivered in DataStage. One of the reasons is that so much of the SQL can be job parameters - table owner, table name, constants in a WHERE clause. It's true that you can not use job parameters as column names, but there is no search-and-replace facility for column names.

You might try exporting, editing the export file, and importing afterwards, then re-compiling the jobs.

Others might suggest you hack the repository tables; since you're a newcomer I would definitely advise against that, for a number of reasons. First, you void your warranty. Second, Ascential do not publish the structure of the repository, and reserve the right to change it at any time. Third, location of column definitions and of SQL is not constant; it varies depending on stage type and purpose (stream input, reference input or stored procedure).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

This feature is not yet available in DataStage. Feel free to contact Ascential to make your voice heard on this particular feature.

The more people ask for it, the more likely the feature will appear soon.
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: is table definition shared?

Post by s_boyapati »

julia wrote:If there is a table definition that is used in several jobs, I would like to change table definition (for example, column name) in one place and have all
database stages that refers to it get default SQL changed. Also I would like to have name and password recorded in one place only so it a user id is changed - do not change in in 20 stages... What is the best way to do it?
You can get some functionality towards what you are looking for, by using "Column-generated SQL".