Enabling Optional Feature in the ODBC Specification, / Bug?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nelab28
Premium Member
Premium Member

Enabling Optional Feature in the ODBC Specification, / Bug?

Post by nelab28 »

Hi,

I am trying to create a new table and load the data from another source table.

Source table has 2 columns as

a Decimal(10,0)
b Decimal(10,2)

to create the target table, when i import this schema, i get

a BigInt
b Decimal(10,2).

So, in effect the target table definition for column a becomes Number (19).
Is there any way to retain the same definition of Decimal(10,0) for column a. One way is to manually change it, but it would be quite tedious as there are lot of columns like this and many tables like these. Also, would not want to unnecessarily increase the column size to Number(19).
Is there any specific reason for this to happen or is it a bug?

Also, for the table with such a scenario, i can not load the target using ODBC connection, as DS throws out an "binding" error which is a optional feature of ODBC. How can we set the DS to enable the optional features, so that it can load "BigInt" columns. Loading works fine with Oracle Enterprise stage.

Thanks in anticipation.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Decimal(10,0) has to be BigInt, because the largest possible four-byte signed integer (twos complement) is 2147483647 (ten digits): any ten digit number larger than this could not safely be construed as an integer so has to be something larger.

Ultimately this is the root cause of your problem.

You could export the job, edit the export file, and import the result. Only problem is that, internally, SQL data type is enumerated, so you'd have to determine the coding (the constant SQL.TYPE.NAMES in DSINCLUDE/DSD_BCI.H will help).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Again, this is a problem with how Oracle see "Number" and how the rest of the world see it.

Why can't you just tell your DBA to change their table's metadata to Integer, as they should?!

After all, do you REALLY have to have 10 digits all defined and spruced up with a bow on top?

Number should not be universally used in Oracle, in my opinion. Only when you MUST define a scale, should you use Number. Integer, Long, and the like are sufficiently fine for ... numbers. :-)

This will eliminate your decimal[38,10] problem, among other issues.
nelab28
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nelab28 »

I guess i would have to ask the DBA about changing it to number. Yes, there would be numbers which would be hitting 10 places. And more importantly, the target database is based on a front-end application design. Hence the requirement to stick to the definition provided.

Thank You guys.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Actually, as I investigated the Oracle datatypes online, apparently, integers and longs are either deprecated, or replaced by Number[size,scale].

Argh.

So you're pretty stuck with this conversion deal.

Sorry.