Insert only option in Parallel jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

csrazdan
Participant

Insert only option in Parallel jobs

Post by csrazdan »

Hi All,
Is there a way to have only INSERT only option in Parallel job. I'm not comfortable in LOAD option as it requires the index to be disabled. Can anybody help in this.

Regards,
Shekhar
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

A direct path load will disable the indexes, the only operation left for you is either conventional load or DML loading. If you use standard INSERT/UPDATE SQL then you won't have issues with indexes, you'll instead have performance issues.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I once had a problem with a bulk load that disabled the indexes, when it tried to put the indexes back on it failed due to duplicates and the table became unstable. This told me there were problems with the load job and I had to add additional logic to dedupe the data. If I had been using insert/update instead of bulk load I may have been unaware of these duplicate keys and may have lost or overwritten important data.

There are thousands of DW projects out there using bulk loaders and disabling indexes due to the speed benefits. If your ETL design is good and your testing is sufficient then it shouldn't be a problem.