Simple Tranformer/Basic Transformer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Simple Tranformer/Basic Transformer

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

We installed the DS Enterprise Edition for Unix and we installed Client in our machines after installaion our connectivity to the DS server was fine. But in the Pallet, in the processing i am not able to see both the Transformers, i come to see only Basic Transformer but in help i come to see two types of transformer. Can any one give some help on this issue, on how i can get the simple transformer in the Parllel Pallet, or is it that in Parallel we have only Basic Tranformer. I don't think that is the case, somethig else is missing ???

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Rajeev,

Whatever transformer you see in the processing section of the pallete is the PX transformer. It is not the basic transformer.

The basic transformer is available in the Repository. Check thispost for details.

--Rich

Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi Richard,

Ok, Richard i agree on that. But i have a doubt then.

I am using the same Basic Transformer and i am trying to do an lookup on a Transfrmer, which already does an one to one mapping, but when i try to put a link from a hash file to the transformer it is showing that target can have only one input link, why is that, a tranformer can have one reference link also and can have n number's of output links isn't.

But one thing that i see is that when i do a reference lookup the link is not in reference mode it is a strem link, why is that ?, is there any seting that is to be done.

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
richdhan wrote:Hi Rajeev,

Whatever transformer you see in the processing section of the pallete is the PX transformer. It is not the basic transformer.

The basic transformer is available in the Repository. Check thispost for details.

--Rich

Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hashed files are not used in parallel jobs.

Lookups are performed with Join, Merge or Lookup stage types.

It's a completely different approach to that used in server jobs.

The (parallel) Transformer stage does, indeed, support only one input link.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Yes Rajeev,

Don't use hash file in PX job.

Thanks
Man
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

May I suggest that you contact Ascential for some beginning training on how Parallel Extender (EE) works for students who have previously used Server?

One option is "DataStage Essentials for Enterprise Edition for rev 7.x", which you could find more information about on the following site:

http://www.nichewareinc.com/ascentiallm ... education/

There are other training options found here:

http://www.ascential.com/services/training_options.html

Also, remember this: The goal of EE is to avoid using the transformer stage unless when it is necessary (i.e. when you need to do transformation.) The Transfomer stage is not an all-in-one solution like the Server stage is.