Windows to Parallel X

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Windows to Parallel X

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

We are developing some jobs in Windows platform, but later on we want to integrate these jobs in DS 7.1r1 parallel extender option, in unix enviornment, what is the over load on this and what all precautions do we have to take care when you desing jobs in windows and then put it to parallel.

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I'm still trying to figure out how folks are designing Parallel jobs on the Windows platform. Even if you can't compile them, how the heck are you even designing them????
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Hi Kenneth Bland,

Sorry i put the words wrongly, we are working in windows platform in DS 7.1r1, later we want to convert into Parallel because we are having only windows server ready, Unix server will be ready in few days or in a week, so what we have decided is to do the work on windows and later on export the jobs to Unix environment, can this be done, if so how and what is the impact that is going to take.

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
kcbland wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how folks are designing Parallel jobs on the Windows platform. Even if you can't compile them, how the heck are you even designing them????
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Just export your jobs from the Windows server and import them onto the Unix server. Should be no problems. The only precaution is that the directory structure on Unix will be different to Windows so your developers have to choose file paths in job stages that anticipate the Unix structure.

I'm surprised you have the licenses to run Enterprise Edition on both Windows servers and Unix services. Usually you only get a license key for Unix.
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Hi Vincent McBurney,

Thank you for your reply. So we can do it, that is good. Only thing is Path any other issues, regarding the Parallel process of jobs, can this be done or will we have to independently change the options.

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
vmcburney wrote:Just export your jobs from the Windows server and import them onto the Unix server. Should be no problems. The only precaution is that the directory structure on Unix will be different to Windows so your developers have to choose file paths in job stages that anticipate the Unix structure.

I'm surprised you have the licenses to run Enterprise Edition on both Windows servers and Unix services. Usually you only get a license key for Unix.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you develop server jobs you will run server jobs. Even on the UNIX machine, they will be server jobs.

You can get some degree of parallelism by specifying your server jobs to have multi-instance capability; but in this case you need to manage partitioning of data yourself.

There are only very limited circumstances (documented in the Parallel Job Developer's Guide) that allow you to incorporate server job components in parallel jobs. You are generally better off, better able to achieve the full potential of the parallel extender engine, re-designing the work flow from scratch using only parallel job components.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Ray is correct, you cannot turn server jobs into parallel jobs. I assumed they were building parallel jobs on a Windows server (without actually running them) and then moving them onto the Unix server at a later date. Making assumptions can be dangerous! Rajeev, just to make it absolutely clear, you cannot build a standard/server job and put it on a parallel server and expect it to run in parallel. You have to build parallel jobs on your Windows server and then move them to your Enterprise server.

It can be difficult obtaining an Enterprise license for a Windows server since the Windows version hasn't been released yet. They do make Windows licenses available for evaluation and for special circumstances such as this one.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

That whizzing sound is something again going over my head. At which release of DataStage are you allowed to create PX jobs on Windoze? I haven't seen this one yet, is it 7.5? Because, as far as I know, only connecting to a DS project on a Unix server with a PX license allows you to create or even import PX jobs.

As far as I know, you cannot even import a PX job into a Windoze installation as of release 7.1. Please shed some light.
Kenneth Bland

vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've installed DataStage 7.1 onto a Windows laptop with both a server and enterprise authorisation code and received both sets of job stages. This was for demo software where I didn't need to run any jobs. I was able to create parallel jobs as well as server jobs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kcbland wrote:That whizzing sound is something again going over my head. At which release of DataStage are you allowed to create PX jobs on Windoze? I haven't seen this one yet, is it 7.5? Because, as far as I know, only connecting to a DS project on a Unix server with a PX license allows you to create or even import PX jobs.

As far as I know, you cannot even import a PX job into a Windoze installation as of release 7.1. Please shed some light.
If you've got a licence you can design PX jobs in version 6.0 and later. I've done it. But you can neither compile nor run them because the Orchestrate engine isn't yet available on that platform.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Okay, so you took your Unix license and used it on a Windoze platform? That enables Parallel as a job type when creating a new job?

Uhhh, seems kind of shady to me. I didn't know that you could use a Unix auth code to activate a Windoze installation.
Kenneth Bland

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Hi Kenneth Bland,

What you specified is correct, but we don't get Parallel jobs during creation of ne jobs. That means we are creating server jobs only.

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
kcbland wrote:Okay, so you took your Unix license and used it on a Windoze platform? That enables Parallel as a job type when creating a new job?

Uhhh, seems kind of shady to me. I didn't know that you could use a Unix auth code to activate a Windoze installation.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, it's a separate licence code for PX on Windows and PX on UNIX. And it's different from the server licence codes.