Usage of uv and uvsh commands

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Usage of uv and uvsh commands

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

I require info on what the uv and uvsh commands can be used for besides accessing logs. Is there any documentation available on the commands? I am doing some research on the commands, but cannot seem to find any documentation on the commands. Also, what are the tables available in the uv database.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can find the uv and uvsh commands documented in the UniVerse System Description manual.

Since UniVerse is a database, the tables in it are primarily those that its users create. There are a few "system tables", which you will find mainly documented in the Administering UniVerse manual.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I was told that uv executes as root and sets the ulimit then runs uvsh if you are on UNIX. So unless you are accessing large files then you can execute uvsh directly.

The uvsh command is like sqlplus for Oracle. It is an easy way to execute a SQL script and redirect the output to a file. This would be a good way to list the log file and archive the results then delete the records.
Mamu Kim
vinodlakshmanan
Participant

Post by vinodlakshmanan »

I want to which are the DataStage specific tables. For e.g, one table I know of is DS_JOBS. Are there any other DataStage specific tables? If so, what are they?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

DataStage's internal repository is undocumented by Ascential. Those of us who are Universe/Unidata/PICK bit-twisters from wayback have peeked and poked around under the covers enough to understand the internal structure.

You can simply inspect an empty projects directory and get an idea of the name of all of the hash files used by DataStage. As for the internal structures, I'm still working on puzzling out the non-normalized, non-relational object-oriented unstructured inconsistent methods myself.

It's been talked about enough, the DS_JOBOBJECTS hash file contains all job design information. You can figure out a pattern in the name, DS_* after awhile.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle