WHAT IS ORCHESTRATE THAT IS USED IN DATABASE STAGE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsfan
Participant

WHAT IS ORCHESTRATE THAT IS USED IN DATABASE STAGE

Post by dsfan »

HOW IS ORCHESTRATE USED IN THE DATABASE STAGE WHICH IS USED AS A REFERENCE TABLE FOR A LOOKUP.COULD YOU PLZ HELP ME OUT WITH THIS.I COULD NOT NOT UNDERSTAND AS TO WHETHER WE HAVE TO USE A JOB PARAMETER.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Ascential purchased Torrent Systems to acquire their parallel execution technology, which Torrent called Orchestrate.

Ascential re-named the technology "Parallel Extender".

So the answer to the question in your subject is that Orchestrate is the old name of the underlying parallel execution engine. Other terminology reflects the orchestra metaphor, such as "conductor" and "player".

Whether or not you "need" a job parameter in your various stage types is really a matter of how you've designed the job, and so impossible to answer here. You can use environment variable job parameters for all the APT... environment variables if you want to override their default values.

In particular, though, you do not need a job parameter to specify Orchestrate as the engine. This is implicit in the fact that you've designed a parallel job.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsfan
Participant

i was asking about the orchestrate.columnname

Post by dsfan »

thank you ray wurold,
actually i was asking about the orchestrator operator in an oracle stage which is accessed by a look up stage. In one the parallel jobs i have seen that we use orchestrate.column name in the predicate clause of the oracle stage to refer to the other link that is going to the lookup stage i.e other than the database stage. i was asking whether we need to activate
that orchestrate operation with any job parameter.could you please tell me the scope of that orchestrate usage.
thank you
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Okay...

Whenever you see Orchestrate, Ignore it. Think of it like a C++ class, a really HUGE C++ class. :-P A struct, if you're a C person. This structure is being used behind the scene to pass data to Oracle from the input link. This structure's metadata have all the fields that you are seeing.

When you auto-generate the SQL, everything is done as you have defined on your links.

I would strongly recommend that you contact Ascential for an introduction course to EE, or to have them send a professional to your site to give you and your co-workers some needed insight on how EE works, and how you can deal with the new-founded powers.

And yes, I'm serious. Heck, there may be some folks on here more local to you that would love to teach you a thing or two.