Why basic transformer in PX causes serious performance issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

legendkiller
Participant

Why basic transformer in PX causes serious performance issue

Post by legendkiller »

Hi All,

can any body tell me why basic transformer casuse serious performance problems in parallel job.

And in what cases we should use basic tranformer.

can all fuctinality of basic transformer are achievable through parallel transformer.

Thanks in advance

legendkiller
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

The Basic transformer uses the Basic engine. So there will be a performance hit while you pass your data between the Basic Engine and the Parallel Engine.
T42
Participant

Re: Why basic transformer in PX causes serious performance i

Post by T42 »

legendkiller wrote:can any body tell me why basic transformer casuse serious performance problems in parallel job.
Orchestrate is a distinct engine developed beneath Parallel Extender. Basic Transformer is a very fat and very sequential plugin that sit nice n' fat on top of the slim and sleek Orchestrate.
And in what cases we should use basic tranformer.
When you absolutely positively MUST use the features without using a buildop/custom stages, and are dealing with very small set of data (read: Number of data you can process in a minute on your server.)
can all fuctinality of basic transformer are achievable through parallel transformer.
Hmm. No. oconv and iconv can be mostly done, but not 100%. I'm sure there are other functions out there that also are not possible within the Transformer framework. However, everything can be done within a buildop stage.