Datastage Standards

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Datastage Standards

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

I want to know the standards that are used in Dastastage when you design a job in Designer.

Regards,
Rajeev
legendkiller
Participant

Post by legendkiller »

There is no naming standards present for jobs, for naming convention generally follow commmon rules like stage name should give idea what it is doing same thing goes for link names and job name.

About design point of view there are best practices to follow

There are some standard things which require to be done for some stages specially join.change capture lookup etc these are related to partition and incoming data to stage.

you can get some idea by rading documentation but you came to know many things as you grow older in datastage px :o

regards

legendkiller
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As a general rule, standards are developed in-house. The important thing is that they are consistently followed. Some of the standards I follow include:
  • There is ALWAYS a description annotation (12pt, top, left, no border, transparent background) at the top of the design canvas.

Short and long description are always completed. This is so that useful reports are produced by the Documentation Tool or MetaStage.

Data elements are used to describe items of data important to the business (for example AccountNumber, Identifier, CodedValue, Money, Interval and so on).

An annotation must appear on the canvas to warn future developers if a before/after subroutine is used.

Sufficient annotations are placed on the canvas so that management can understand what's happening by looking at the picture.

Stage variable names all begin with sv so that it's clear in expressions that a stage variable has been used.

Stage names reflect the data source, for example a database stage might be named for the schema/owner name.

Link names reflect the data flowing along that link, for example "DataForLoading", "CustomerLookup".

Design is left-to-right, top-to-bottom to the greatest degree possible.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Datastage Standards

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

Thank you Ray and Legendkiller, for the reply.

I would like to add to the above discussion, what are the stardards for new stages maintained in 7.x. Like join, change capture, Funnel etc.

Regards,
Rajeev
ray.wurlod wrote:As a general rule, standards are developed in-house. The important thing is that they are consistently followed. Some of the standards I follow include:
  • There is ALWAYS a description annotation (12pt, top, left, no border, transparent background) at the top of the design canvas.

Short and long description are always completed. This is so that useful reports are produced by the Documentation Tool or MetaStage.
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Rajeev,

We usually use a 4 letter abbreviation to identify the stage. For Change Capture it is CHGC and for funnel it is FUNL. If you want the complete list pls send me a private message.

HTH
--Rich

Pride comes before a fall
Humility comes before honour