Exception handling

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

waitnsee
Participant

Exception handling

Post by waitnsee »

Can anyone gimme a brief description about exception handling capabilities within datastage parallel extender and what all have you faced so far in your projects and how did you overcome them.
Appreciate your responses. Thanks
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

It really depends on what you are looking for. Are there any specific situation you wish to find answers for? We could easily answer those type of questions for you.

For general purposes, you are welcome to read the DataStage Parallel Job Guide PDF file which comes with your installation of DataStage.
waitnsee
Participant

Post by waitnsee »

I am looking for answering the interview with a supportive lecture on the same.
Please let me know your views.
thanks!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That's getting very close to the realm of hiring consulting services!

This forum, by and large, is for sharing answers to specific questions. Answering general questions ties up a lot of time which, particularly to self-employed consultants, means money. Developing training materials ties up even more time.

Do as T42 suggests; work through the manual (it's not a bad exposition, particularly Chapter 2) then post some specific questions. You might also profitable read on-line help or manuals about exception handling in job sequences.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lcduddridge
Participant

Re: Exception handling

Post by lcduddridge »

Here is the basic stuff:

1) Use reject link in transformer, lookup stages to capture missing data
2) Use APT_DUMP_SCORE to get details
3) Read the OSH script to understand
4) Read log files to see what errors/warnings reported
5) When you gain experience, you can write custom DSRoutine to capture all the info

PS: If you use DS version 6.0 or less , bugs & null are the major exception handling tasks.

Siva
still waiting for my user account to get activated
(for Luke)

waitnsee wrote:Can anyone gimme a brief description about exception handling capabilities within datastage parallel extender and what all have you faced so far in your projects and how did you overcome them.
Appreciate your responses. Thanks