APT Config File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vigneshra
Participant

APT Config File

Post by vigneshra »

Hi

We are having three different versions of APT Config file and we are passing different file name as a parameter to different job based on the job complexity. Here the issue is, whenever I try to compile the job having a parallel transformer, without giving default value in $APT_CONFIG_FILE parameter, the job doesn't compile and says that the value is required for compilation. So what I am afraid for is, will this default value will be overridden when I pass some other APT Config file name from the calling shell script ?? Or will it set at the compilation time itself which cannot be changed during run time ??
Kindly help me out in this regard.

DataStage PX version : 7.0

Thanks,
Vignesh.
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: APT Config File

Post by raju_chvr »

I come from the regular DS world. In the regular DS the values you pass from the shell scripts overwrite the default values and I am assuming the same would happen with PX also and that would be a safe assumption I would say...
gh_amitava
Participant

Post by gh_amitava »

Hi,

It will overwrite.

Regards
Amitava
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

The job with a transformer will always use the config file given at runtime regardless of the config file used at compile time
Last edited by Eric on Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

what Amitava reply is correct b'cus during run time u sending one more APT file latest value only it will take.

Thanks
Man
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

Ok Raju, Amitava, Eric and Mandyli. I go with what you guys are saying. But this gives way to one more question. Why does a parallel transformer needs a value in APT Config file parameter to get compiled ?? Can you guys throw some more light on this ??? Thanks in advance !!

Vignesh.
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

The parallel Engine won't run without a Config File and it is the parallel engine which controls the Compile of the transformer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The compiler needs to know about processing node allocation too.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vigneshra
Participant

Post by vigneshra »

So Ray, You mean to say something like if a job with parallel transformer is compiled for a 8 processing nodes, that job will run only in 8 nodes even if the PX actually runs in 16 node production environment. Am I making sense ?? :P
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not saying that at all. What I'm saying - all I'm saying - is that, when the job is compiled, it needs to generate an object that can be cloned across multiple processing nodes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.