Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinu_p
Participant

Sequencer

Post by srinu_p »

Hi,

I am new to Datastage.
Can Somebody help me out by explaining about how we use triggers in
Sequencers.
Do we prefer a sequencer or Job Control Routine? I could'n't figure out which one was better.
I could'n't understand clearly by reading the documentation. I did search the forum but i could'n't get a related topic.

SP.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A Job Sequence is a graphical way to design what ends up being a job control routine, so ultimately they're the same thing. In fact you can view the generated job control code (in the Job Properties window) after you have compiled a job sequence.

Triggers are a means whereby conditional dependency is implemented.

When you draw a line from Activity A to Activity B in a Job Sequence, Activity B is dependent on Activity A. At the very least, Activity B will not start until Activity A has finished.

If you do nothing else, this ordering of execution is the entire dependency relationship.

However, depending on the kind of activity, you can make execution of a following Activity conditional. For example on the exit status or user status value of a Job Activity, on the return value of a Routine Activity, on the exit status value of a Command Activity.

You can have multiple activities triggered by different rules. These can feed into a Sequencer which implements ("all must have triggered" or "any can have triggered") in order for the Sequencer's output to be triggered.

The best place to look is in Chapter 6 the Ascential DataStage Designer Guide (coredev.pdf).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.