Urgent Help On installation procedure for DataStage PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mayank007
Participant

Urgent Help On installation procedure for DataStage PX

Post by mayank007 »

Hi All,

I need to know the procedure to install DataStage PX on a Linux Machine. Firstly can this be done or would it only work with licensed UNIX versions. If i can install on linux can somebody tell me the following:

1) Can i setup a self loop on the machine and have the server run on Linux and client on Windows. It sounds difficult to me!!

2) If i can connect to machine through a hub then on one i could install Linux and the other could host the DataStage PX client. In this case what are all the things that i would require and would there be any difficulty.

3) Would it make any sense to run PX on a Linux Emulator software like VMWare. I have heard that the performance is really bad in this way. In case someone knows any key to enhance the performance on VMWare please do let me know.

Thanks,
Mayank :D
roml
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Urgent Help On installation procedure for DataStage PX

Post by roml »

>>
3) Would it make any sense to run PX on a Linux Emulator software like VMWare. I have heard that the performance is really bad in this way. In case someone knows any key to enhance the performance on VMWare please do let me know.
>>

It does IF you need to have a self-contained environment. By the looks of it, that's what you have...

In order to minimize installation issues, I would recommend using VMWare 4.5.1 (build 7568 was the best one for my installation), and Redhat Linux AS or ES 2.1... I would also stick to DS 7.1r1 (which is the release supporting the above configuration)...

Granted you can try with RH 7.3 and pre 7.1r1, on VMWare 4.5.X but you will have a lot of work ahead of you just to try to get it to work... Just too much of a pain if you ask me... Better to stick with supported OSs...

Cheers,

Rom
mayank007
Participant

Post by mayank007 »

Thanks Rom! Will keep that in mind :shock:
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hello,

Yes you can setup a self loop on the machine to have the server run on Linux and client on Windows.

-Yamini
Eric
Participant

Post by Eric »

mayank007 wrote:Hi All,

I need to know the procedure to install DataStage PX on a Linux Machine. Firstly can this be done or would it only work with licensed UNIX versions. If i can install on linux can somebody tell me the following:
DataStage server is supported on RedHat linux and you would need a different install disk (and licence) to the windows server install.
1) Can i setup a self loop on the machine and have the server run on Linux and client on Windows. It sounds difficult to me!!
yes, you would normally expect to install DataStage Server on a different machine to the DataStage Clients.

Thanks,
Mayank :D
This is not a supported option in the readme, although this might work for 'playing' with some of the PX stages you will never get any real performance using emulators.