Getting Last Generated SK from Surrogate Key Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jasonchan
Participant

Getting Last Generated SK from Surrogate Key Stage

Post by jasonchan »

Hi all,

I'd like to know what's the best way to get last generated SK for the SK stage. This will be used as the "Start Value" property of the SK stage.

I searched through the fourm, and found someone is doing a SQL query
over the table, and get the max. value of the S.K. and then get this value
back to DS through DSExecute & DSSetParam.

Is it a good way? Any other better ones?

Thanks very much.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

Getting the current maximum value from the database is the only totally safe way.

Some advise the code-based solution you propounded; others suggest using a DataStage job to load the result in to a hashed file. The advantage of this approach is that you can have a separate record for each table; use the table name for the key. It can be looked up in a later DataStage job, or read using DataStage BASIC, whichever you prefer.

Another option is to preserve a persistent of the most recent SK loaded by DataStage somewhere in or near DataStage, but this does not offer protection against others loading new SK values by other means, for example using a Sequence.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.