Non-pipe (or non-virtual data set)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bobyon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Non-pipe (or non-virtual data set)

Post by bobyon »

Hello All

Forgive me if I don't follow the std protocol for this forum (or I am not suppose to duplicae the post I left in the Devnet forum)since this is one of my first posts, but can someone help me understand the following error messages:

Code: Select all

main_program: Data set, file set, or file "DSS_SLS_DET:Sales.v": Non-pipe (or non-virtual data set) with .v in its name 
Data set, file set, or file "Join_6:SalesAndReceipts.v": Non-pipe (or non-virtual data set) with .v in its name 
Data set, file set, or file "T1:MvToLkUp.v":  :?: ) with .v in its name 

This is from a new job that I am writing, one of the first since updating to v7.5. I have two DB2 inputs to the job, DSS_SLS_DET (Sales)and DSS_PRDT_RCPT (Receipts). The link coming out of the join is called SalesAndReceipts. The join is called Join_6 which feeds transformer called T1. The link out of the T1 stage is call MvToLkup.

I originally thought that there was some confusion over a field in the Sales table called Vend_Id (thus Sales.v.....) but I renamed the field to aVend_id and am still getting the errors. I'm finding many of the errors out of DataStage, both at compile as well as run time, to be quite ambiguous.

I have also discovered the error messages are return if only doing a validation of the job.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Bob :?:
richdhan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by richdhan »

Hi Bob,

Going by the error that you have got, I think that you have datasets with .v extension and that might create the problem. If thats the case you can probably rename the datasets with .ds extension and run the job again.

Use the Dataset Management Tool available in Manager/Director to manage Datasets.

HTH
--Rich

Pride comes before a fall
Humility comes before honour
bobyon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bobyon »

If that is the case (and I will look, I'm not in the office yet) where would these datasets have come from? One thought was that the .v files were created to suport the links between the stages. If so, do I as a developer have any control over how these datasets are named.

If these datasets are not created as a result of this new job somehow, and are jst files that have been laying around for a while, why would other jobs not fail with the same error?

Thanks
Bob

PS I looked and can find no files named .v anywhere on the system.
richdhan wrote:Hi Bob,

Going by the error that you have got, I think that you have datasets with .v extension and that might create the problem. If thats the case you can probably rename the datasets with .ds extension and run the job again.

Use the Dataset Management Tool available in Manager/Director to manage Datasets.

HTH
--Rich

Pride comes before a fall
Humility comes before honour
Bob
bobyon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Error Resolved

Post by bobyon »

It turns out this was due to not entering a value in the parameters that is used as the DB2 schema name.

In my DB2 stage I specified as the table name #schema#.DSS_SALES but had not defined SCHEMA in my parameter list.

Why that returned this particular error message is still a mystery, but the problem is fixed.

Thanks All
Bob
Bob