Using GNU c++ compiler with PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ariear
Participant

Using GNU c++ compiler with PX

Post by ariear »

Any one did use gcc on Solaris ?
I do have a linux px and the it's probably uses gcc so I hope it'll suite Solaris 2.9

ArieAR
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Using GNU c++ compiler with PX

Post by RobJ »

[quote="ariear"]Any one did use gcc on Solaris ?
I do have a linux px and the it's probably uses gcc so I hope it'll suite Solaris 2.9

ArieAR[/quote]

Haven't used it on Solaris, but I'd like to use gcc on AIX. Has anyone tried this? (Indeed, has anyone tried using any compiler other than the standard supported one on any platform?)

Rob
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

Unfortunately, C++ is an ever-changing language, and not stabilized by any means. One version of a compiler on one platform can be entirely different than the same version on another platform.

So the advice is to ONLY USE THE SUPPORTED COMPILER NOTED ON YOUR INSTALL GUIDE. In other words, you're not allowed to use any other versions if you wish to have Ascential support for your installation.

Trust me, I've seen how GCC of different versions on Linux break DataStage jobs. Heck, RedHat and SuSE's versions of GCC have different versions that are supported by DataStage.

It is crazy, but this is the only way Ascential can ensure compatibility.

So, the answer to your question: No, GCC for Solaris is NOT SUPPORTED.
Prashantoncyber
Participant

Post by Prashantoncyber »

I have small Q that what is "gcc" ?
Precious
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by Precious »

Prashantoncyber wrote:I have small Q that what is "gcc" ?
This is the name of the gnu C++ compiler. This free compiler is frequently used on machines running the UNIX operating system.
Precious

Mosher's Law of Software Engineering: Don't worry if it doesn't work right. If everything did, you'd be out of a job.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

More information here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/

You can also do a google search for "GCC".
jasper
Participant

Post by jasper »

by setting the compiler options in the project environment to values for gcc you can get your jobs compiled.

But as discussed here: is this worth the loss of support? compared to what you pay for DS the c-compiler is not that expensive.
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

[quote="jasper"]by setting the compiler options in the project environment to values for gcc you can get your jobs compiled.

But as discussed here: is this worth the loss of support? compared to what you pay for DS the c-compiler is not that expensive.[/quote]

Well, I couldn't get it to work by setting the options. If someone could post the correct options I might give it a try.

For AIX, I'm struggling to get a straight answer on the cost of the compiler. I've seen per user and per processor options. Per user is pricey, but not that pricey compared with DataStage. Per (named) user, on the other hand, wouldn't sit well with the DS Designer concurrent user licensing model. I could certainly imagine using GCC in the development environemnt if I could get it to work.

I hope that on AIX, future releases of DS may bundle a limited use licence for the XL C++ compiler, but then I'm a born optimist :wink:
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

RobJ wrote:For AIX, I'm struggling to get a straight answer on the cost of the compiler. I've seen per user and per processor options. Per user is pricey, but not that pricey compared with DataStage. Per (named) user, on the other hand, wouldn't sit well with the DS Designer concurrent user licensing model. I could certainly imagine using GCC in the development environemnt if I could get it to work.
When you see "Per User" think "Per ACTIVE user." In other words, you can buy a 1 user license, and DataStage will gladly use it one at a time for their job compile. 2 - 4 user licenses are the best bet for the price.
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

[quote]When you see "Per User" think "Per ACTIVE user." In other words, you can buy a 1 user license, and DataStage will gladly use it one at a time for their job compile. 2 - 4 user licenses are the best bet for the price[/quote]
That might well work from a technical point of view, but we're interested in the letter of the law when it comes to compliance with licence terms.
alraaayeq
Participant

Post by alraaayeq »

All,

I am going to install gcc latest version ( I think 3.4.2/3) in order to test how could we use it for PX jobs.

does any one has Good/Bad experience , and only practical experience ( I got dozens of theories about using free/ proprietary c++ compilers) that could help me to speed up or buy/no-buy decision.

Also, if you have any comments I will be happy to hear from you.

Cheers
RobJ
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RobJ »

[quote="alraaayeq"]All,

I am going to install gcc latest version ( I think 3.4.2/3) in order to test how could we use it for PX jobs.

does any one has Good/Bad experience , and only practical experience ( I got dozens of theories about using free/ proprietary c++ compilers) that could help me to speed up or buy/no-buy decision.

Also, if you have any comments I will be happy to hear from you.

Cheers[/quote]

No experience so far, but we've decided to switch from AIX to Linux on Intel, so we'll be using gcc in the next few weeks (currently waiting for the servers to arrive). Note - this isn't a strategic move away from AIX, just a tactical decision for this project.