External Target Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Vishvas
Participant

External Target Stage

Post by Vishvas »

Hi,

From the documentation, I learnt that External Target Stage is mainly used to interface with databases that are not supported by DS.

But we have to specify the name of the program. I don't know what they mean by a program and what it will do?

Can any one explain this?

Arun
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

I had a quick look at the documentation as well, and it explains quite clearly that the target source stage can write to a program.
The External Target stage is a file stage. It allows you to write data to one or more source programs. The stage can have a single input link and a single rejects link. It can be configured to execute in parallel or sequential mode. Follow this link for a list of steps you must take when deploying an External Target stage in your job.

When writing to a program, DataStage needs to know something about how to format the data. The information required is how the data is divided into rows and how rows are divided into columns. You specify this on the Format tab. Settings for individual columns can be overridden on the Columns tab using the Edit Column Metadata dialog box
so... this program must be a program that you or someone else has written and is waiting to manipulate data that comes from DS.

this is how i understand the documentation.
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson